Subscription error message "Sorry, sending the message to request your confirmation failed"

hello

I was happily running PHPlist on our VPS and it was working great - then we upgraded to the current version and we have been getting errors when people are trying to subscribe or unsubscribe. the sending of messages via a list works fine - it is just when the system is confirming a subscription request.

The error message is:

“Sorry, sending the message to request your confirmation failed, please click “Reload” to try again. If it still does not work, please contact the administrator.”

i have checked the doco for phplist and it says that php mailer can be used. i would prefer to not use SMTP.

i have tried the following setting:

define(“PHPMAILERHOST”,’ ');

but that doesnt work. i have also tried define(“PHPMAILERHOST”,’ localhost’);

I have also checked the logs for when each error occur and the following message comes up in the logs:

“Error sending email to You must provide at least one recipient email address.”

WE are using the subscription pages and email addresses are being captured. We have also tried using the default and even a new subscription page and the same error occurs.

I have done a google on this and also a search and only found the same issue from years back and it looks like some of those were not solved either.

Can anyone shed any light on this please.

Thanks

graham

oh one other thing, we changed our email from running on the VPS to now run on our Office 365 account. We also changed our mail domain to run on the Office 365 too (so our email is now running on the exchange server on our office 365 account).

But we don’t know if the subscription confirmations broke when we did this change to office 365. We only noticed it after the phplist upgrade (as that is when we did our testing).

so do we need to make any other server based changes if our mail server is effectively running on an office 365 account - and not on our vps?

Remember, PHP list works when sending to our lists, but it is only when someone subscribes is when we and they get the message below:

“Sorry, sending the message to request your confirmation failed, please click “Reload” to try again. If it still does not work, please contact the administrator.”

thanks

graham

One possibility, although it doesn’t seem to match the actual error that you described, is the From address not being valid, possibly not on the same domain

Hi, which version specifically (3.2.3 was released yesterday)

I cannot replicate this on my own phpList, which is 3.2.3 on phpList.com

Can you link to the posts you found?

Hi Anna,

We are running 3.2.2.

We just checked, there is another error appearing above the first error I reported and it is:

Error: Running DEV version, but developer_email not set

The above error is followed by:

Sorry, sending the message to request your confirmation failed, please click “Reload” to try again. If it still does not work, please contact the administrator.

The logs show the following:

Error sending email to You must provide at least one recipient email address.

This is using define(“PHPMAILERHOST”,’ '); in config.php

We are running PHP Version 5.4.30 on a CentOS VPS.

Here are some of the previous links i have found about this error:

https://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21570

https://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=41948

This is getting to be most annoying now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

graham

Hi Anna and others,

Another followup with this issue, as you recall, this issue only occurs when users are using the subscription page as our emails out using the lists work.

We just did anther test, and the users do get subscribed but remain in a “unconfirmed” state. So it appears it is just the sending of confirming emails out where this issue occurs.

Thanks

graham

@gg1965 This might be related to another, apparently minor, problem with release 3.2.2, the addition of a Developer menu item. There has been a further release, 3.2.3, which fixes that problem and possibly the one that you are seeing.

Thanks Duncan - you are a legend.

We did the upgrade to 3.2.3 and that worked.

Subs and sub changes are now working and notifications going out.

Graham

1 Like

Hi all!

I’m having this problem on a 3.2.4 install. The funny thing is I have another 3.2.4 install that this isn’t happening on. I CANNOT for the life of me figure out the difference.

I have encountered same issue that my phplist version 3.2.5. I think this is smtp configuration problem that please check my specific post:

and

I am looking forward to see Anna and Cuncan’s great help in an urgetly.

I’m pinging this topic because I’m having it again with 3.3.1

Hey there - I’m seeing this problem again after upgrading to 3.3.1… did anybody ever figure out what to do about this?