Unable to update plugins

Hi Support! I’m trying to find a solution to not being able to update any of my plugins. This issue started about three months ago, and now that some of the plugins are starting to become dated, this is becoming more of an issue. In Config > Manage Plugins, if I click on the ‘update’ button for any of the plugins, I get the following errors:
Error: Unable to download plugin package, check your connection
Error: Invalid plugin package
I can’t seem to find any reference to a solution and would very much appreciate any support you may be able to offer.

@TBart To install plugins this way phplist requires “URL-aware fopen wrappers” to be enabled. It sounds like that is not the case for your installation. You can check this through phpinfo.

If you have access to php.ini then you can try enabling that, http://php.net/manual/en/filesystem.configuration.php#ini.allow-url-fopen but you might need to raise it with the hosting company.

Hi Duncan,
Thank you very much for your reply. The URL-aware fopen wrappers were indeed enabled, and I also tested enabling the allow_url_include directive, and checking in phpinfo that they were both enabled, but to no avail - I still get the same errors when trying to update the plugins. I’m using PHP Version 5.6.22-0+deb8u1. Any other ideas I can look into to resolve this issue? Thanks again for your kind support.

@TBart Are you able to update the plugin by entering its package url instead of using the update button?

Hi Duncan, Many thanks for the suggestion, but I can’t update using the package url either.

Hi Duncan, I just tried to install the Bounce Statistics plugin and that also fails with the same error. Do you have any other suggestions that might help? I even tried to comment out the disable_functions directive and restart apache, but that had no effect. I am running Debian Jessie fully updated with the following php packages installed:
php-apc
php-crypt-gpg
php-pear
php5-apcu
php5-cgi
php5-cli
php5-common
php5-dev
php5-fpm
php5-gd
php5-imap
php5-json
php5-mhash
php5-mysql
php5-mysqli
php5-mysqlnd
php5-readline
php5-suhosin
php5-user-cache
php5-xcache
php5-xdebug
php5-yac
phpapi-20131226

Thanks again for your kind assistance.

Hi Duncan, Problem solved! For some obscure reason, the php5-curl package disappeared - once I reinstalled it, plugin installs and updates worked perfectly. Thanks again for your assistance.