PHPlist says that mails is sent but nothing is actually sent, NO ERROR!

Hi All,

New to phplist built a server with it for our marketing team however our phplist installation is unable to send emails from a hosted linode server. I can log into the mail interface(roundcube) and actually send mails from the server however sending from within phplist just does not work.

Here is my config.php file

<?php

/*

* ==============================================================================================================
* The minimum requirements to get phpList working are in this file.
* If you are interested in tweaking more options, check out the config_extended.php file
* or visit http://resources.phplist.com/system/config
* ** NOTE: To use options from config_extended.php, you need to copy them to this file **
==============================================================================================================

*/

# what is your Mysql database server hostname
$database_host = "localhost";

# what is the name of the database we are using
$database_name = "DATABASE";

# what user has access to this database
$database_user = "USERNAME";

# and what is the password to login to control the database
$database_password = 'PASSWORD';

# if you have an SMTP server, set it here. Otherwise it will use the normal php mail() function
## if your SMTP server is called "smtp.mydomain.com" you enter this below like this:
##
##     define("PHPMAILERHOST",'mail.mailmajor.co.uk');

# define("PHPMAILERHOST",'');

define("PHPMAILERHOST",'');

# if test is true (not 0) it will not actually send ANY messages, but display what it would have sent
# this is here, to make sure you edited the config file and mails are not sent "accidentally"
# on unmanaged systems

define ("TEST",0);

/*

==============================================================================================================
* Settings for handling bounces
* This section is OPTIONAL, and not necessary to send out mailings, but it is highly recommended to correctly
* set up bounce processing. Without processing of bounces your system will end up sending large amounts of
* unnecessary messages, which overloads your own server, the receiving servers and internet traffic as a whole
*/

Message envelope.

This is the address that most bounces will be delivered to
 Your should make this an address that no PERSON reads
 but a mailbox that phpList can empty every so often, to process the bounces

$message_envelope = 'listbounces@yourdomain';

Handling bounces. Check README.bounces for more info
 This can be 'pop' or 'mbox'
$bounce_protocol = 'pop';

set this to 0, if you set up a cron to download bounces regularly by using the
 commandline option. If this is 0, users cannot run the page from the web
 frontend. Read README.commandline to find out how to set it up on the
 commandline
define ("MANUALLY_PROCESS_BOUNCES",1);

when the protocol is pop, specify these three
$bounce_mailbox_host = 'localhost';
$bounce_mailbox_user = 'popuser';
$bounce_mailbox_password = 'password';

the "port" is the remote port of the connection to retrieve the emails
 the default should be fine but if it doesn't work, you can try the second
 one. To do that, add a # before the first line and take off the one before the

second line
$bounce_mailbox_port = "110/pop3/notls";
$bounce_mailbox_port = "110/pop3";

it's getting more common to have secure connections, in which case you probably want to use

$bounce_mailbox_port = "995/pop3/ssl/novalidate-cert";

when the protocol is mbox specify this one
 it needs to be a local file in mbox format, accessible to your webserver user
$bounce_mailbox = '/var/mail/listbounces';

set this to 0 if you want to keep your messages in the mailbox. this is potentially
 a problem, because bounces will be counted multiple times, so only do this if you are
 testing things.
$bounce_mailbox_purge = 1;

set this to 0 if you want to keep unprocessed messages in the mailbox. Unprocessed
 messages are messages that could not be matched with a user in the system
 messages are still downloaded into phpList, so it is safe to delete them from

the mailbox and view them in phpList
$bounce_mailbox_purge_unprocessed = 1;

how many bounces in a row need to have occurred for a user to be marked unconfirmed
$bounce_unsubscribe_threshold = 5;

You should look at ‘System’ "log of events’ and see what’s going on.
How are you processing the queue? Are you doing it from the web interface? Did you setup a cron job for automatic sending?

Just submitting the campaign to the queue is not enough, you also have to process the queue.

Also, verify that the list you are sending to has subscribers/emails in it. It could be that the list was imported improperly…

Hi the list does have subscribers and emails and I am using the web interface and we do click on the process que button.

System logs?? Where I have the mail log from /var/log/maillog but php is not adding in there as its not even triggering the MTA

Using the phplist web interface, look in the ‘system’ ‘log of events’ menu. It should give some indication of what’s going on.

Thats what the log says now I managed to get the server to start responding however now it says there is no subscribers in the list but I know for a fact that both of my email addresses is in the list here is a pic to confirm

Any idea why php would say there is 0 in the list?

Are you sending the message to the ‘TEST’ list?
Also, if it already sent the message to an email address, it won’t send again.
Create a new message and try again.
Check your ‘junk’ folder in gmail.

I am sure and I have checked the junk folder there is nothing

Just out of curiosity I sent another camapign but before sending it I cleared the log from the web interface then I sent a campaign and ensured that I sent it. the campaign finishes but the log is not updating… See it stays blank… I have no idea what to do and I am not rebuilding this server I have gone through the rebuild process too many times already

OK so funny story when I log out of the web interface and back in PHPlist shows it has the messages in its que :? then I click the process que button now and it sends the message I actually receive the email. Would I have to do this for every campaign I run as this would be a big pain

cannot tell you for sure if this is your problem … but I did run into this issue on a shared host very recently.
so if you end up here from a web search … it could be your root cause.

mailing lists that contain un-verified addresses could trigger shared-host provider’s OUTGOING spam filters. yes … they are filtering outgoing messages now.

in an effort to help control their constant battle of cleaning blackslisted ips of their shared smtp pool server farms, providers are weighing bounce messages for excessive 550 and other invalid user account messages … if they see a large number returning, they may proactively dump your outgoing mail WITHOUT NOTICE.

I suspect this practice will get more popular.

-d