Migrated to new server and all phplist pages show empty

I have a fairly old php list version 2.6.22, which still works great for my needs btw., and migrated my website to a new server with latest and greatest php, mysql etc.
Everything works great except phplist. The code is located in folder /mlist/ and www.mydomain/mlist/ www_mydomain/mlist/admin/ and www.mydomain/mlist/?p=subscribe&id=2 etc. all always simply show a blank page (any browser).

There are no php error_log files, nothing I can find that is wrong ?

So I downloaded the latest and greatest (3.1.27), ported the config.php content to the new config.php and uploaded that version instead (renamed old, moved new to /mlist/)

The result is exactly the same !!

Your help would be much appreciated.
I have no idea why, where to start … tired … help ?

Sorry, but I don’t recognise your versions. Can I ask where you obtained these 2.6.22 and 3.1.27 versions from please.

I for one am more familiar with version 3.0.12

1 Like

I’m very sorry, I have my versions mixed up with something else (bad notes).
I use 2.10.5 and 3.0.12

1 Like

Okay, silly question time as you haven’t given us too much info to work with. :wink:

Have you used your version 2 or the new version 3 config/config.php file?

Hi,

So when the entire website got migrated to the new server, it was version 2, a setup that worked perfectly on the old server.
On the new server, all pages show a blank page, whatever I do.

So I downloaded v3 (latest and greatest) and renamed the v3 extended config.php to config.php
Then I edited that (v3) config.php file to have all the settings of my v2 config.php file (I did not use my v2 file, I edited the v3 file)

I put v3 where v2 was located (basically renamed the old and renamed the new to the old /mlist/ folder name)

I hope this makes sense now ?

So you moved your version 2 phpList to the new server, and everything was blank?

Often with a new server the database details may change, has this happened, did you adjust any settings in V2 to match?

Likewise, have you confirmed that the V3 database settings match the database on the new server?

A blank page often is the result from a missing quote (single or double) or semi-colon at the end of a line in either config or a language file. Did you make any changes like that?
Also, it could be worth while checking the config.php file for any mixed single and double quotes in a line.

So you moved your version 2 phpList to the new server, and everything was blank?

Correct

Often with a new server the database details may change, has this happened, did you adjust any settings in V2 to match?

I now run a much more recent version of mysql, as a result the databases were updated.
I have asked the server people to check and they could log on to the database with the credentials I provided (database, user, password that are present in the config.php)

Likewise, have you confirmed that the V3 database settings match the database on the new server?

What settings ?
The database works for the mysql version installed, as confirmed by the hosting company.
I don’t get any error output whatsoever from phplist which makes it hard to find a root cause

A blank page often is the result from a missing quote (single or
double) or semi-colon at the end of a line in either config or a
language file. Did you make any changes like that?

No, nothing. Wouldn’t it then also have failed on the old server ?
And version 3.x was downloaded fresh and only the config.php was edited to contain the new results.
It would surprise me to have that problem then ?

Also, it could be worth while checking the config.php file for any mixed single and double quotes in a line.

I will but at this point I’m sceptical !

PS. I could not find anything wrong in the config.php file

File permissions can be a problem with some web server configurations.
Files should be 644 (writeable only by the owner) and directories should be 755.

Otherwise, check the web server log.

All permissions appear to be OK !

I can’t find issue with the server logs, for instance:

84.193.163.22 - - [24/Jul/2015:06:22:08 -0400] “GET /mlist/admin/ HTTP/1.1” 200 - “-” "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0"
84.193.163.22 - - [24/Jul/2015:06:22:09 -0400] “GET /mlist/admin/ HTTP/1.1” 200 - “-” “Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0”

Another possible cause is not having the php mbstring extension installed. If you do not know then you can use phpinfo to check.
Create a file in the web root directory, phpinfo.php containing only this

<?php
phpinfo();

Then request that as a web page and search the result for “mbstring”.

mbstring seems to be installed and working:

mbstring

Multibyte Support enabled 
Multibyte string engine libmbfl 
HTTP input encoding translation disabled 
libmbfl version 1.3.2 

mbstring extension makes use of "streamable 
kanji code filter and converter", which is distributed under the GNU 
Lesser General Public License version 2.1.

Multibyte (japanese) regex support enabled 
Multibyte regex (oniguruma) backtrack check On 
Multibyte regex (oniguruma) version 5.9.2 

DirectiveLocal ValueMaster Value
mbstring.detect_orderno valueno value
mbstring.encoding_translationOffOff
mbstring.func_overload00
mbstring.http_inputpasspass
mbstring.http_outputpasspass
mbstring.http_output_conv_mimetypes^(text/|application/xhtml\+xml)^(text/|application/xhtml\+xml)
mbstring.internal_encodingno valueno value
mbstring.languageneutralneutral
mbstring.strict_detectionOffOff
mbstring.substitute_characterno valueno value

I can’t suggest any other possible cause, but you can try enabling error reporting to see whether that shows anything.

You need to modify this line in the file admin/init.php, it should be line 17. Change the 0 to -1

error_reporting(0);

There is also the same code on line 4 of the file admin/index.php which you can change in the same way.

Interesting, I get output now, kindly comment …

For the old 2.x version I can only change the error_reporting() in index.php, not in init.php
I get (which doesn’t make much sense to me):

Fatal error:  Call-time pass-by-reference has been removed in /home/smartbl/public_html/isobuster.com/mlist_old/admin/connect.php on line 740

For the new 3.x version, after editing, I get:

Warning:  
require_once(/home/smartbl/public_html/isobuster.com/mlist/admin/PHPMailer/PHPMailerAutoload.php):
 failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/smartbl/public_html/isobuster.com/mlist/admin/class.phplistmailer.php on line 9

Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required 
'/home/smartbl/public_html/isobuster.com/mlist/admin/PHPMailer/PHPMailerAutoload.php'
 (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/smartbl/public_html/isobuster.com/mlist/admin/class.phplistmailer.php on line 9

I checked the mentioned files. They’re present and have the correct permissions (644)

The problem with the phplist 2.x is caused by the code using a construct that is no longer supported by php.

But the problem with phplist 3.x doesn’t make sense to me if you have copied the release files correctly. In case you inadvertently mixed the files for the old and new releases it might be worth re-copying the files for 3.0.12.

There was no mixing. I did not copy over. I renamed the old installation from /mlist/ to /mlist_old/ and next created a new /mlist/ folder with the new (3x) version. Then I only edited config.php in /mlist/
I was very careful in that regard.

If it would be beneficial to be able to FTP to the /mlist/ folder, I’m willing to set you up with a temp logon ?
I don’t know, anything that may help at this point … ?

I can take a look if you send me the connection details through a private message.
Which version of php is installed?

I feel silly but I can’t seem to find where to PM you

Click my name/photo.