Madness over tmp directory - nothing works

Sending email campaigns BUT:

Pulling my hair out trying to get the /tmp directory to behave. Because it is not (or I should probably more accurately say I am not because perhaps a bit confused) I am receiving the following errors when attempt to either bulk upload email address OR trying to troubleshoot with the url: http://www.yourdomain.com/lists/admin/?page=info OR getting phpinfo under Config:

Forbidden
You don’t have permission to access this resource.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Version: v3.5.8, Centos 7, Cpanel
tmp is:
/home/xxxxxxxx/public_html/xxxxxxx.com/lists/tmp
receive above error messages regardless if directories are 755 or 750
inserted debug at end of config.php and received this:
string(23) “/lists/admin/?page=home”
string(23) “/lists/admin/?page=home”

Update:
when temporarily removing .htaccess all was good.

So what in the following .htaccess is causing this problem? Have no idea why there is the reference to api.php

Also when removing the .htaccess and things correct themselves I see that the system is using php ea-php72, but php73 exists here. Should I be using that and if so, how is that set in phplist?

Thanks for any suggestions. Much appreciated.

DirectoryIndex index.php

<FilesMatch “.(php|inc)$”>
# Apache < 2.3
<IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
Satisfy All

# Apache ≥ 2.3

Require all denied

api.php is the entrypoint for phpList4

<FilesMatch “(index.php|dl.php|ut.php|lt.php|download.php|connector.php|api.php)$”>
# Apache < 2.3
<IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Satisfy All

# Apache ≥ 2.3

Require all granted

@pancakehollow Possibly caused by anti-malware software. This sort of problem has happened to me when a URL contains a “banned” word such as “config” and has been discussed in this forum before.

You should raise the problem with your hosting company.

KINDA SOLVED:

So I’ve done more investigations and it seems to be that cpanel installs a default version of php7.3 in the .htaccess file in the domain root directory. By default that was set to php7.3. However, phplist is running on php7.2.

I can change the .htaccess in the domain root to php7.2 but would prefer to use the more current version of php7.3 and when I do change the version to 7.3 the problem returns.

phplist config status shows it accessing php7.2 in all utilized files.

Is there a setting somewhere in phplist where the version of php is set? I’d like it to use the 7.3 version of php.

I’m guessing that when phplist is installed it sets the default to whatever version of php it finds. But in Cpanel, users can easily upgrade. It would appear that phplist has no method to know that and sticks to the older version, causing the issue described here.

The solution - at least for those on cpanel/WHM - is to make sure that phplist version’s of php matches the php version cpanel attributes to the directory where phplist resides.

cpanel/WHM has a multiphp editor which allows the admin to choose which version of php is used per directory/installation. However, it’s still goes unanswered if phplist v3.5.8 plays nicely with php v7.3. I can’t seem to find an answer whether or not phplist can use php v7.3. Everything works fine in php v7.2.