Install locally using MAMP on Mac?

I’ve been able to upload a MySQL dump of our list using MAMP and phpMyAdmin into the database “phplist”. However, getting a new install of phpList locally to work is eluding me. I get as far as initializing the database, this one named “phplistdb” which works, but then after that I get “The pageroot in your config “/lists” do not match the current location “/phplist/public_html/lists”. Check your config file.” Goal is to move the old list into the new install once phpList is working. Any tips greatly appreciated, thanks.

Screen Shot 2023-07-16 at 9.02.58 AM

@bobafifi what is the URL for accessing phplist?

http://localhost:8888/phplist/public_html/lists/admin/

@bobafifi What is unclear about the error message? Your config.php file gives '/lists' as the path to phplist, not what you are actually using.

Thanks Duncan!
The problem is that when I moved the list folder out, I got 404 messages. Only thing that seemed to work installing/initializing in the hdocs folder was leaving it there and setting the user and password to root. I’ve looked for other threads using MAMP but not finding any. I’m not attached to installing phpList this way, but it’s worked for other applications so figured I’d give it a try.
Screen Shot 2023-07-16 at 4.49.10 PM
Screen Shot 2023-07-16 at 4.48.13 PM

Your config.php file gives '/lists' as the path to phplist, not what you are actually using.

For some reason, I’m not seeing this in the config.php file? I’m using phplist-3.6.13

@bobafifi

For some reason, I’m not seeing this in the config.php file? I’m using phplist-3.6.13

It is the default location if not specified.

But you don’t want the folders above the lists directory in your screenshot, public_html, doc etc. They are not intended to be part of the web server.

You want the lists directory to be within the web root directory, so move or rename it to there.

Then add this line to config.php using whatever folder name you are now using for phplist

$pageroot = '/phplist';

Then you will access phplist at http://localhost:8888/phplist/admin/

Thanks for the help Duncan! Still getting 404. :frowning:
Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 2.37.16 AM
Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 2.42.25 AM
Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 2.43.35 AM

@bobafifi You want the lists directory to be the top-level, you don’t want the bin, doc, docker etc directories at all. Move that to the top level and rename to phplist then delete the rest, it is not needed.

That worked, thanks Duncan!! Figured out the login biz in phpMyAdmin -
phplist_admin →
change password

Changed phplistdb to phplist in config.php as a test to see if it would use that database and got “database not initialized” - Is there a way to bypass this and just switch databases?

@bobafifi Check the table prefix fields in config.php and that they match the prefixes used for the tables in the phplist database. If they are not specified then they will be the defaults which are

$table_prefix = 'phplist_';
$usertable_prefix = 'phplist_user_';

Got it! Thanks so much Duncan!