Inline subscribe Ajax returns subscriber page with error

I’m trying to use the inline subscribe Ajax form but when I enter an email address and click subscribe, Ajax returns the contents of the subscribe page instead of the success message and does not add the email address to the list. Also, the subscriber page content shows an error stating that the email address is missing Here is my form and my jquery followed by the text of return data:

<form method="post" action="" name="subscribeform" id="subscribeform" enctype="multipart/form-data"> 
<table border=0> 
<tr> 
<td><div class="required">Email: </div></td> 
<td class="attributeinput"><input type="text" name="emailadd" id="emailadd" value="" size="20" autocomplete="on"></td>
<td><input type="hidden" id="subscribe" name="subscribe" value="subscribe"/> <button class='button' onclick="if (checkform()) {submitForm();} return false;" >Subscribe</button></td> 
</tr> 
</table> 
<input type=hidden name="htmlemail" value="1"> <input type="hidden" name="list[1]" value="signup" />  <div id="result" style="color: red;"></div> 
</form>
function checkform() { 
      re = /^([a-zA-Z0-9_\.\-])+\@(([a-zA-Z0-9\-])+\.)+([a-zA-Z0-9]{2,4})+$/; 
      if (!(re.test(jQuery("#emailadd").val()))) { 
        jQuery("#result").empty().append("Please enter a valid email address"); 
        jQuery("#emailadd").focus(); return false; 
      } 
      return true; 
    } 

function submitForm() { 
      successMessage = 'Thank you for your registration. Please check your email to confirm.'; 
      data = jQuery('#subscribeform').serialize(); 
      jQuery.ajax( { 
        type: 'POST', 
        data: data, 
        url: 'https://mysite.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1', 
        dataType: 'html', 
        success: function (data, status, request) { 
          jQuery("#result").empty().append(data != '' ? data : successMessage); jQuery('#emailadd').val(''); 
        }, 
        error: function (request, status, error) { 
          alert('Sorry, we were unable to process your subscription.'); 
        } 
      }); 
    }

Subscribe to our email list

• required fields are marked red
    Please enter a valid email address
    The following required values are missing: Email addresses you entered do not match
    Email address *
    Confirm your email address *
    Unsubscribe

@Backstage1 Have you followed the guidance at Creating a subscribe page | phpList manual

Also, that is out of date now and p=subscribe should be p=asubscribe

Yes, that’s where I got the code. I’ll change the parameter and see if it helps

@Backstage1

You have changed the name of the email address field from email to emailadd
You cannot do that because email is the name that phplist is expecting.

You also need to follow the guidance about configuring the subscribe page.

I changed the reference to the field name in all of the JQuery… Unless the list page itself is looking for it