I'm being spontaneously unsubscribed from my own mailing list

Greetings.

As of yesterday, my mailing list keeps blacklisting my email address.

I keep removing it from the blacklist … and a little while later I get another message that says:

= = =
(my email address) has unsubscribed
Reason given:
“Jump off” set, reason not requested
= = = =

I was hoping to, perhaps, hire someone knowledgeable to look into this issue (and a couple of other things) but haven’t been able to find anyone.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Wishes,

Prodos
Melbourne, Australia

There is also a small set of my subscribers – about 6 of them – all with the same @domain.org – that keep getting unsubscribed.

I wrote to them and they confirmed they had not unsubscribed.

Is it possible that their email program is somehow automatically testing – and in the process clicking – the UNSUBSCRIBE link that I have within all emails I send out?

Is it possible that some setting in their browser is doing that? Perhaps when they open their email, their browser or some browser app is testing/clicking all the links and inadvertently unsubscribing them?

Any thoughts on this strange behaviour would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Wishes,

Prodos
Melbourne, Australia

One of the weirdly unsubscribed email addresses displays the following when I go to:

(click on email address) ==> History ==> Subscription (tab) …

= = = = = = = =

detail:

Unsubscribed from * All newsletters

info:

HTTP_USER_AGENT = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/72.0.3626.109 Safari/537.36

REMOTE_ADDR = 3.91.98.58

REQUEST_URI = /?p=unsubscribe&uid=8248f7c535d58955be258288d83a8fbc&utm_source=phplist476&utm_medium=email&utm_content=HTML&utm_campaign= (name of campaign)

= = = = = = = =

detail:

Added to blacklist for reason "Jump off" set, reason not requested

info:

HTTP_USER_AGENT = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/72.0.3626.109 Safari/537.36

REMOTE_ADDR = 3.91.98.58

REQUEST_URI = /?p=unsubscribe&uid=8248f7c535d58955be258288d83a8fbc&utm_source=phplist476&utm_medium=email&utm_content=HTML&utm_campaign= (name of campaign)

= = = =

Is there anything in the above that might provide a clue to what’s happening?

Best Wishes,

Prodos
Melbourne, Australia

@prodos It sounds similar to the problem in an earlier topic Users reporting unauthorized unsubscribes

You should disable jump-off, so that someone needs to confirm their unsubscription, and also create a robots.txt file.

Greetings Duncan,

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, I’ve very awkward when it comes to making the kinds of changes recommended in the link you provided.

Is it possible to get some assistance from someone?
I’m happy to pay for it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Best Wishes,

Prodos
Melbourne, Australia

Reporting that Duncan was able to help me get this issue fixed (and a couple of other things while he was it!)

Hooray!

:slight_smile:

Best Wishes,

Prodos
Melbourne, Australia

3 Likes

So did you disallow the /lists folder then in robots.txt? (In picking through the threads on unauthorized unsubscriptions I saw references to robots.txt but not specifically as to what directories should be excluded to help mitigate the problem.)

What should be in this file? Thank you. I guess it should disallow anything in the phplist directory.