HTML Character Encodings in E-Mail?

Hi phpList community,
I’m just testing out phpList. Since I’m working in German language mostly, there are some frequent special characters (especially ä ö ü and ß) like in “Einstellungen ändern” (= change preferences).
I found that the german.inc has all these special characters in UTF-8, so no encoding should be necessary there, but they are sent out e.g. in setup emails and not encoded in the HTML-part, too, which results in weird symbols. Is it possible to configure phpList to character encode all special characters in the HTML-part of the emails? The text version looks all right, UTF-8 is read correctly there.
Thanks for your help and thoughts!
Waldbaer

@Waldbaer Please show an example of what is not being displayed properly, and the source of the email. I think that all emails should be sent with a content type of UTF8, maybe in this instance that is not the case.

Hi duncanc,
thank you for your answer. An example is the system message “Campaign started”. It seems to be content UTF8, but the HTML is encoded wrong:

Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE html ...><html><body><style></style><p>Versand gestartet f&Atilde;&frac14;r die Nachricht ...

should be

Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE html ...><html><body><style></style><p>Versand gestartet f&uuml;r die Nachricht ...

It looks as if the encoder works, but only after a wrong decoder…?

@Waldbaer How have you configured phplist to send, using the php mail() function or through an smtp server? This setting in config.php

define('PHPMAILERHOST', '');

using an smtp server, the text is shown correctly

<body><p>Versand gestartet f=
=C3=BCr die Nachricht mit dem Betreff

I’m not sure whereabouts the conversion to html entities is happening. I guess it is in phpmailer when sending using the mail() function.

@duncanc The config.php is set to use SMTP, I’ll try to reproduce this/do a few more tests and report back (hopefully tomorrow). Thank you for your ideas so far already!