How to use a Master list

Brand new to phpList - my friendly ISP set up,by CSV files, a database of subscribers and databases of subsets of the subscribers. For example - all members and then associate members, regular members, hot dog members.
I have a number of questions:

1. How can I found out the structure of the database, that is what information is there - First name, last name. email and anything else.
  2. If I need more information than was downloaded can I add the information now by either manually adding it or downloading the information by using a CSV file again (I believe duplicates will not be be added but the new information, for example, province, will be).
  3. Does the new CSV file have to be in the same order as the existing data or will phpList put the information in the correct columns based upon the field headings.
  4. This is a membership type organization with annual renewals - if members fail to renew do they have to be manually deleted or is there a way to download a new list every year that will overwrite the existing data.

I have read through the manual - actually one of the best I have seen, but cannot see (or maybe just understand) how these questions are answered. I have also watched the video on importing a CSV file.

TIA

– How can I found out the structure of the database, that is what information is there - First name, last name. email and anything else.
— the extra information are called ‘attributes’ and you can see the values for each attribute by looking in the ‘config’ ‘config attributes’ menu.

– If I need more information than was downloaded can I add the information now by either manually adding it or downloading the information by using a CSV file again (I believe duplicates will not be be added but the new
information, for example, province, will be).
— that is correct.

– Does the new CSV file have to be in the same order as the existing data or will phpList put the information in the correct columns based upon the field headings.
— In the process of importing a csv file, you can specify the mapping of the fields to the specific attributes, and view a test mapping of about 50 records or so before you actually do the actual importing.

– This is a membership type organization with annual renewals - if members fail to renew do they have to be manually deleted or is there a way to download a new list every year that will overwrite the existing data
— you should probably manage this with a ‘member list’ for each year, i.e. 2015members, 2016 members, etc. then when you send your campaign, send to the appropriate list. That way you won’t need to delete names manually.

1 Like

Subscriber information is matched by email or foreign key. If you upload a new file, with more data, it will add the new data into the subscriber profiles.

No, this doesn’t matter. You may just have Email, new thing, new thing and that is fine too. As long as you have the email (and/or foreign key).

First of all, read this chapter here: Understanding Subscrib... | phpList manual

I think this chapter is vital for you actually, as the way you phrase your questions suggest you don’t understand this quite. In essence, the databse IS your “master list” I think?

If all of your renewals happen on, say, January 1st, then that is easy, make a new list. You can also make lists to of those who did not renew and remind them. I would strongly advise to never delete people, though you can blacklist them if you want to avoid accidentally mailing them.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Well, question 1 about db structure is pretty technical, a strange question to ask for someone in your position. It’s not something you would really need to know to be honest. 1 and 2, I agree, this is not made clear in the manual. Can you leave a comment on the chapter about adding subscribers, summarising this? I will make sure something is added to the manual soon.

Kindest regards

Anna
phpList

Thanks for your comments Anna. In the distant past I did write (using Clarion - I think may now be called Soft Velocity) a number of database programs - so maybe not so strange. However, I was digging in the dark with little theoretical knowledge.
Being very new to phpList I think there are a number of areas where the manual could help a newbie - would it be OK if my comments were summarized or would you prefer the comments to be made in the relevant chapters.
Whilst looking at the config file, I did notice a spelling error or two…would you like this kind of minor irritant brought to your attention also?

this would be better where possible

No, that’s fine, you can either report that as a bug or even fix them yourself and make a pull request (see Development | Open Source newsletter software | phpList.org for info on both)