GoDaddy user needs just a little help to get going!

Hi, just installed phpList into my godaddy host account using installatron. Perfect. Very easy to use and setup - I really like. But one question. How many emails can I send out at a time in this environment? In other words, how large can my list be for any given campaign? My office manager was using Outlook and a mail-merge until I saw what he was doing and yelled “Stop!” Then I showed him this tool, and his eyes went gaga. But he was telling me that when using a Godaddy email account, he would get bounce notices for any merge larger than 500. Is that also true using phpList? Well, look forward to your answer, and to using this on our next campaign. I am a Mailchimp user myself, and I much prefer this tool over the chimp (cheaper, I think).

It is the rate of sending (number of emails per hour) that is important, not the absolute size of the list. Your office manager thinks that there is a limit of 500 - I guess 500/hour but you need to check that with Godaddy as it will depend on the type of hosting account that you have with them.
You need to add or modify these settings in your config.php file to reflect the limit on the rate of sending:

# define the amount of emails you want to send per period. If 0, batch processing
# is disabled and messages are sent out as fast as possible
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_SIZE",0); 

# define the length of one batch processing period, in seconds (3600 is an hour)
define("MAILQUEUE_BATCH_PERIOD",3600);

# to avoid overloading the server that sends your email, you can add a little delay
# between messages that will spread the load of sending
# you will need to find a good value for your own server
# value is in seconds, and you can use fractions, eg "0.5" is half a second
# (or you can play with the autothrottle below)
define('MAILQUEUE_THROTTLE',0);
1 Like