Do lists export as CSV or tab separated?

When I export my list, the extension on the file says it’s .cvs, but when I open the file, it has tab delimiters rather than commas. Is this correct? The only way I can get the file to open properly in my spreadsheet is to change the extension to .txt. It took me a while before I realized that. It’s a simple enough fix, but it isn’t something that automatically occurs to me to do.

It’s a very minor issue, but it would be nice if it would export with the .txt extension OR in actual CSV format. I’m very new to PHPlist (2 days) so it may just be that I’m misunderstanding something or possibly overlooking a setting somewhere. If so, I hope someone can help point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

The code is available in the config_extended file, but needs to be in the config.php file to work, add the following code to your config file.

# if you want to use export format optimized for Excel, set this one to 1
define("EXPORT_EXCEL",1);

This changes the format to comma seperated values rather than tab delimiters and opens perfectly in excel.

1 Like

I would worry about doing something wrong and breaking the site so I will probably just stick to changing the extension to .txt on the file itself – to play it safe. But thank you very much for the answer.

It’s a bit confusing to call it a CSV when it really isn’t that. Hopefully that’s a setting that will be added to the user interface of a future release.