Dkim header plugin question

The ability to add a dkim signature in an email in phplist is a great improvement. But I have a question: when I view the code of a phplist email that is sent from my server, I already see a dkim signature in it. Is this plugin for those people who for some reason, don’t already have dkim turned on, or is it an addition for those who do?

We don’t have the dkim installed in phpList and in the mails we send I do not see a dkim signature.
We are on a hosted environment and use authenticated smtp to send messages.
I’m curious how you set up the sending part on phpList.

Hi Peter-sdl,

It depends a bit on how you are hosted. I use cpanel and cpanel comes with a gui to setup dkim - there are lots of instructions out there on how to set up dkim on your hosted environment. cpanel is one of the easier ones but essentially you create the dkim signature and then cpanel puts that or a variation of that in your dns records. So, when an email is sent the receiving services checks the authenticity of your email by verifying the included dkim signature with that in the dns records of your server.

That’s pretty much a large over-view of how it works. I hope that helps. Google setup dkim on server there are a lot of instructions out there on how to do it.

Thanks for the explanation pancakehollow.
We have two domains and for one I see a dkim signature when I send mail via Mozilla Thunderbird but for the other (the one we use with phpList) not.
I thought our hosting provider set dkim up.
I’m gonna ask them, see if it makes a difference

This still leaves your question unanswered at the moment.

I’m gonna go with the plugin is for those who don’t have dkim already set up. I thought about it and realize if you already have it there would be no need for the plugin.
SOLVED

Good to hear.
Our hostingprovider set up dkim (we had to have some patience) but there is a dkim signature in our phpList mails again.

When I originally built the DKIM plugin, we were using a site that didn’t have an MX record so needed a way to authenticate it as able to send. While we have upgraded that a bit, the DKIM plugin let’s us control and monitor the traffic and helps reduce our email being dropped into spam folders. If you have questions about how to set up the plugin, just drop them here and I will gladly help.

Doug

Good to know Doug.
Preventing our emails to be marked as spam seems to be quite a challenge sometimes.