DB issue on Upgrade from 2.10.19 to 3.2.5

Hello,

I tried to upgrade from the version 2.10.19 to the latest 3.2.5 version. I am using PHP 5.3, which still should work.
Everything was also working good until the DB upgrade (new files on the server, config.php, etc.)
The red box to upgrade the DB is also shown at the main site, but when I click on Upgrade there is just the information that my DB is version 2.10.19 (nothing else).
There is no further text and Upgrade button, like shown in the manual, to start the DB upgrade.
Can somebody support on this?
Thank you

Chris

Hi Chris,
Is your php version 5.3.3?
One thing to try (if it’s easy) is to upgrade your php to even a newer version, you’ll need to get the upgrade link to show up.

Beware that the upgrade scripts might not convert all of the tables correctly. I’ve had to go in and do some manual renaming on a couple of upgrades that I did.

Dan

Dear Dan,

I believe it is the latest PHP 5.3.3 version, but I do not want to upgrade to PHP 5.4 or higher, because this would mean that other applications will not run anymore.
Do you think that the upgrade link will show up if I go to PHP 5.4?

Is there no other possibility to run 3.2.5 with PHP 5.3?

Thank you.

Chris

If you have a cpanel interface to the server, you might be able to just switch up to a later release of php, and see if the upgrade button appears. Cpanel would allow you to re-set the php to 5.3.3 after your test.

I also believe there is a way to upgrade the database from the command line, if you have access to that…

@chrisM Can you add a screenshot of this, possibly that might indicate what is missing.

Dear all,

I am actually running PHP 5.3.29.
I do not have a screenshot available because I removed the 3.2.5 files from the server after the DB upgrade was not successful.
But there was just a blank white screen which said that I am on a 2.10.19 DB version - that was all.

I would like to know if there is a change to run the 3.2.5 version on PHP 3.3.29, or if I definitely need PHP 5.4 or higher to get the new version installed.

Thank you.

Chris

@chrisM I don’t think that the problem you are seeing is necessarily to do with not running phplist 5.4. But unless you are able to try to repeat the problem to give more information, then you are better off staying with your working version.

Dear duncanc,

I was just repeating the update process.
I uploaded the 3.2.5 version, modified the config.php as requested and the could login to the 3.2.5 version successfully.
There was also the red box, where it was written that I have to update the DB and I pushed the Update button.
Then a new empty page was opening and there was just written that my DB is on version 2.10.19 and nothing else.
There was no further Update button as displayed in the manual.
What should I do now?

Best regards

Chris

@chrisM On this page you clicked the Upgrade button

You then got this page but only the first line “Your database version: 2.10.19” was displayed, nothing else?

The next line “Please wait …” should be output straight after that unless your tables need renaming. Have you used the default prefix ‘phplist_’ for your tables?

If you do try the upgrade again then it is worth enabling error reporting. In the file admin/upgrade.php add a line near the start of the file

<?php
error_reporting(-1);

If something is failing then this change should hightlight that.

Dear duncanc,

yes, only this

no, I am using the prefix newsletter_

Does this help you?

Best regards

Chris

@ that prefix is ok. My only suggestion is for you to try the upgrade again with error reporting enabled.

Dear duncanc,

prior to repeat the upgrade with:

I would like to know the rootcause of the issue.
Does it mean that my current PHP version 3.3.29 is the reason for that, or might it be something different as well?

Thank you.

Best regards

Chris

@chrisM sorry but I really have no idea why your upgrade is not working. That is why I suggested enabling error reporting.

If you are not sure about this then you should continue using your current installation of phplist.

Dear all,

I finally solved the upgrade issue by switching to PHP 5.4.
The upgrade went very well.

Thank you.

Chris