Database error 1064 while Importing subscribers

While Importing 598 subscribers I got this errors from the script:

Database error 1267 while doing query Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='
Database error 1064 while doing query You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘’ at line
Database error 1267 while doing query Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='
Database error 1064 while doing query You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘’ at line 1
Database error 1267 while doing query Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation ‘=’

Only part of the error message is visable on the screen.

The function reports:

447 emails already existed in the database
107 new emails were succesfully imported to the database and added to 1 list.
353 emails were subscribed to the list

Looking throug the list of email adresses I only saw normal US-ASCII characters.

Is there something wrong with my database, my input or the phplist script?
I run version 3.0.6 and wanted to upgrade but I am not sure if there is anything to repair first.
Please help.

@Gert The problem is to do with the collation, or ordering, of fields, rather than their values, see this earlier similar topic Database error 1267 while doing query Illegal mix of collations

You need to change the collation of some fields to utf8_general_ci but from the error message that you showed it is not clear which field and which table. I guess though that it is the email field on the user table, but changing all text fields that are currently latin1_swedish_ci to utf8_general_ci would remove the problem entirely. But backup the database first.