Bounce processing / bounce count issues

I’m having an issue with certain emails and the increase Bouncecount feature.

In order to retain their history, when a user’s email changes, we change the email address entered in that user’s profile (rather than generate a brand new user) and click on the “Increase bounce count with (use negative numbers to decrease)” feature to knock the bounce count back down to 0.

However on processing bounces we have various user emails which we haven’t sent anything to recently & have a bounce count of 0 that keep appearing in the “phpList Bounce processing info” email that the administrator receives after processing being “marked as unconfirmed” due to having over 5 bounces. And when you click on the link to visit that user profile it says there are no bounces!

Can you explain why this might be happening and how we can resolve the issue?

FYI, we did install a fresh 3.2.5 version of phplist on the server recently and in the process copied the old 2.10.19 version’s MySQL database to the new install.

Further to this issue of bounce counts (see above post) I’m getting more mystified and would appreciate if someone could explain the information contained in the ‘phpList Bounce processing info’ email and what shows up on the dashboard after ‘Process Bounces’ has been performed.

What turns up on the dashboard is:

6 bounces to fetch from the mailbox
Please do not interrupt this process
Closing mailbox, and purging messages
Identifying consecutive bounces
unsubscribing 5010 -> 5 bounces
unsubscribing 5044 -> 5 bounces
unsubscribing 5157 -> 5 bounces
total of 1095 subscribers processed

My queries about the above are:

It says there are 6 bounces to fetch form the mailbox. Where can I view these bounces (as there are only 3 emails/users listed (which are actually the one’s that are unsubscribed since they’ve passed 5 bounces apparently - although they haven’t because we’ve knocked down the bounce count anyway!!)

It says there are a ‘total of 1095 subscribers processed’ but I don’t know what this number relates to? We have roughly 6,000 users in our system so what does this number mean?

What turns up in the admin ‘phpList Bounce processing info’ email is:

Report:
6 bounces to process

Below are subscribers who have been marked unconfirmed. The in () is the
number of consecutive bounces.

music@hitthefloor.com (5) http://www.futureproofpromotions.com/lists2/admin/?page=user&id=5010
zonderbar@gmail.com (5) http://www.futureproofpromotions.com/lists2/admin/?page=user&id=5044
submissions@soundsxp.com (5) http://www.futureproofpromotions.com/lists2/admin/?page=user&id=5157

My queries about the above are:

Obviously this says 6 bounces which I’ve already mentioned in my questions above about the info displayed on the dashboard but it then says:

The in () is the
number of consecutive bounces.

which seems to imply there is a variable missing between the brackets (). Can anybody explain what this sentence means and what I need to do to get the “theoretical” variable between the brackets to display correctly?

AND . . . . .

Has anybody got any pointers to the issue of the bounce count as explained in my previous post at the top of this forum string?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give on this subject

Phil

This means that the subscriber had 5 consecutive emails bounce. If you think that these are wrong then it is probably best if you clear all the bounce data - the bounce, bounceregex_bounce, and user_message_bounce tables.

Duncan,

I realize that this thread is older, but it’s pretty much spot on with the issue that I’m having.

Whenever I process bounces, this same exact message comes up… and I know that there’s more bounces to process than what it’s telling me.

bounces to fetch from the mailbox
total of 1512 subscribers processed

every time we process, no matter which day/date we process bounces manually, it’s the same message that pops up.

so, with regards to your reply, starting fresh is as simple as deleting all of the content in the bounce, bounceregex_bounce, and user_message_bounce tables ?

@splaquet There is a problem with this message as the number of bounces is omitted

bounces to fetch from the mailbox

You should update the English translations, menu System > Update translations, then click the English item. The message should then include the number of bounces to be fetched.

But unless an error is being reported, which it does not appear to be the case, then phplist will be retrieving all the available bounces.

thanks for the tip! i’m not sure how, in all of my years of using phplist, that i’ve never performed that operation. …i can’t help but wonder how much more that i haven’t even scratched the surface of and should be doing. is there a list of maintenance operations like this? it feels obvious now, but apparently it wasn’t before yesterday.

so, i performed a bounce process after upgrading my language, which was out of date.

here were my results:
3 bounces to fetch from the mailbox
Please do not interrupt this process
Closing mailbox, and purging messages
total of 2 subscribers processed

0 bounces to fetch from the mailbox
total of 2 subscribers processed

…and the same thing if i repeat.

is that to correct and expected behavior?

That is the expected output when processing bounces, unless a subscriber reaches the threshold to be made unconfirmed, or you are using bounce rules and a bounce matches a rule.