"Be careful with this message Gmail could not verify that it actually came from..."

Hello, I am running PHPList from Inmotion Hosting, and I as well as my customers receive this message with the email. And gives only two choices. “Report Spam” and “Report Phishing”. There is no “Not Spam” button.
Inmotion Hosting said its not them, but I am not sure about that. Anyone familiar with this?

Thank you.

@mplieb I would expect the “Not spam” button to be displayed only when gmail has put the email into the Spam folder.

But the message about “not verifying that it came from” suggests that you are using a From address on a different domain to phplist itself. You should use email addresses on the same domain and certainly not a gmail or yahoo address.

Thank you.

My domain is dancinginhighlandpark.com and the “From” email is Marc@dancinginhighlandpark.com

The lack of the “Not Spam” button means that the recipient cannot correct whatever gmail thinks is wrong.

This started happening about 6 months ago. My webhost (Inmotionhosting) thought it was the SPF record but that does not fix it, but articles I have read about it says it is the DKIM record. But they disagree.

@mplieb Do you have bounce handling configured in phplist? What is the email address used for $message_envelope in the config.php file?

If you view the headers of an email received in gmail then that might show what the problem is.

Thanks for your help.

It is not configured:

$message_envelope = ‘listbounces@yourdomain’

The system won’t let me post much of the header here, because it has more than two links. Is there a way to send it to you? (I put spaces in the links to get it passed the restriction.)

Maybe this is the issue?
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com;
spf=softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning mplieb1@ gmail. com does not designate 173.231.241.34 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=mplieb1@ gmail. com;
dmarc=fail (p=NONE sp=NONE dis=NONE) header.from=dancinginhighlandpark. com

@mplieb Try setting $message_envelope to the From address. It looks like phplist might be using the “Person in charge of this system” address from the Settings page, which presumably is your gmail address.

1 Like

Wow! Magic!
I would get the error when I even send the test email to myself. So that works fine now.
Final confirmation will be when I send out another campaign.

Thank you!

Marc

1 Like

Just following up . This fixed it.

The error no longer shows up either with emails sent to myself or to my customers.

Thanks again for your help!

Marc

1 Like