Ajax wordpress plugin Sign Me Up fails silently

I would like to use the Wordpress Sign Me Up plugin so new subscribers can join the mailing list. It isn’t working and I am at a loss to see where it is failing. This is what I see:

• The new subscriber types in their email address into the input box and presses Subscribe.
  • The Input box and the Subscribe button both disappear.
    This is the expected action, except a success or failure message should appear below. The code is sending http://mydomain.co.uk/phplist/index.php?p=asubscribe&id=1 to phpList via Ajax
    If I amend the code to replace p=asubscribe with p=invalid I do get an error message Unfortunately a network error occurred. etc.

when I look at what has happened in phpList I see

• The email address is in the list of subscribers, but
  • It is unconfirmed
  • It is not subscribed to any list
  • No email request for confirmation has been sent out.

It seems to me that it is partially executing the code but then giving up, but where that is happening I do not know.

This was working on a test site which I moved using the Wordpress Duplicator plugin but I have scanned both code and database for references to the test domain name and drawn a blank. I suspect the issue is in that transfer. Does anybody with a better knowledge of the code have any idea what could cause this (absence of) behaviour?

Well, I returned after three years and now it is working.
The link is http://mydomain.co.uk/phplist/index.php?p=subscribe&id=1 - in other words p=subscribe, not p=asubscribe.

Also, I am pleased to report that although the information in the plugin information says “Warning: This plugin has not been tested with your current version of WordPress.” it does in fact work on WordPress 5.4.1

And it seems that the phpList Ajax interface now permits extra fields, so I have been able to get the new subscriber’s first and last names. To do this I added a couple of extra lines of code to sign-me-up.php:

<input type="email" id="smu_email" name="email" placeholder="<?php echo $placeholder; ?>" onfocus="smu_clearError()" required><br />
<input type="text" name="attribute1" placeholder="First name">    <!-- Added by RC 2020-06-09 -->
<input type="text" name="attribute2" placeholder="Last name">     <!-- Added by RC 2020-06-09 -->

The author has shut down comments and I suspect he’s no longer maintaining it.