Upgrading from Version 2.10.18 to Latest - Questions

Hi, we have been using version 2.10.18 for several years due to a single code addition we made to allow the graphics to be embedded in the email. We would like to upgrade to version 3.2.3 and have read some of the procedures. We are technically capable.

My first question is should we do the upgrade to a lower version first then to 3.2.3 ?
Does the upgrade typically work from extreme version updates ?
If we pull the database in a suggested, we should retain all our lists with removal status?
Does the newer version support embedding the graphics ?

Current System shot:
Your system details are:

phplist version: 2.10.18
PHP version: 5.1.6
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0
Webserver: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
Mysql Info: 5.0.95
PHP Modules:
    libxml
    xml
    wddx
    tokenizer
    sysvshm
    sysvsem
    sysvmsg
    standard
    SimpleXML
    sockets
    SPL
    shmop
    session
    Reflection
    pspell
    posix
    mime_magic
    iconv
    hash
    gmp
    gettext
    ftp
    exif
    date
    curl
    ctype
    calendar
    bz2
    zlib
    pcre
    openssl
    apache2handler
    dbase
    imap
    mysql
    mysqli
    PDO
    pdo_mysql
    pdo_sqlite
  1. you can upgrade directly to 3.2.3, no need for an intermediate version.

2. the database changed between 2.10.x and 3.0.x, but not much if anything since then. But ensure that you take a backup of the database first.

3. lists, subscribers, messages are all kept. But the way of handling link tracking changed and there is a post-upgrade step of converting click statistics to the new format.

4. there is a plugin that lets you embed images in messages, but I have no experience using it. See https://resources.phplist.com/plugins/inlineimage

You should upgrade your version of php as I am not sure whether phplist or many plugins will work with 5.1. The current php is 5.6 with 5.5 also supported. All earlier versions of php are no longer supported.