Upgrade 3.2.3 and SMTP

Hello everyone,
since I upgraded to the latest version 3.2.3, no longer works sending emails via a remote server, but only with local phpmailer.
It happened to someone else? How to solve?
Thank you.

I’ve not found any such issues on my various upgraded phpList installations, have you perhaps overwritten the config/config.php file which had your smtp settings?

Thanks Dragonrider,
no, I don’t overwrite config.php file, Now I replaced the phpmailer with the old version and so it works again. Is there anything in the new version of PHPMailer that does not allow to connect with the remote SMTP server, I can not locate from the log and debug messages where the problem is. I tried to connect to the remote server to all ports and security systems available (ssl tls) but without success.

That’s strange, but I am glad to read you resolved the issue by reinstating the previous version of phpmailer.

Hi,

I have the same problem with new installation of phplist 3.2.3 not able to send email via SMTP, can someone point me to the correct documentation.

Thanks.

There shouldn’t be a problem if you are using the same config file as before.
But see this topic in the old forum phpList Discuss for how to enable smtp debug. If you then send a test message there will be some output that might explain what is failing.

I noticed that when I upgraded phpList from 3.2.0 to 3.2.1 that the phpMailer library located in /lists/admin/phpMailer had changed from ## Version 5.2.9 (Sept 25th 2014) to ## Version 5.2.14 (Nov 1st 2015).

My system stopped sending messages because PHP 5.6.x is now checking the validity of peer SSL certificates and phpMailer v5.2.14 enables TLS by default (as does PHP 5.6.x).

It was kind of maddening because phpList was functioning fine, only after running tcpdump was I able to see the reason our messages were failing.

tcpdump -i eth0 port 25 -X > smtp-2exchange.txt

Check your PHP version and analyze your tcp output and you may find the error.

1 Like