Updater stuck at "Updater is loading." (3.4.2 - > 3.4.4)

Hi, I’m not sure where to check if error logging is on. I checked in my cPanel and there is a link to Error Logs and within the error logs and if I look under " PHP error_log:" there are many errors but none related to lists directory or PHPList or anything recent.

The log shows this, but it’s from 2017, or at least that the date on it:

/home2/mississa/public_html/lists/admin/error_log:
[17-May-2017 13:35:58 America/Denver] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: uploadprogress: Unable to initialize module
Module compiled with module API=20131226
PHP compiled with module API=20100525
These options need to match in Unknown on line 0

any thoughts?
Thanks
Mark

That looks like your PHPList’s error log, not the one of your server. Try to find the error log for your server. Judging by your directory structure, it could be somewhere like /home2/mississa/logs/.

Hi enivid,

I found my error log on my home directory, there are zero references to list or phplist or updater
I deleted the entire error_log file and then deleted the actions.txt file and restarted the update and again it hung at “Download in progress” and is just sitting there.

Maybe I should do a backup, download a previous full version from about a month ago and try the updater again, what do you think?

Thanks again for any help
Mark

Perhaps, it is best to do a manual update. Then, when you find a reason for it not working, you could switch to automatic updates. Or maybe updating manually to the new version will fix everything.

Hi enivid
yes, you are probably correct, I’m uploading the new (older 3.5.2) verison now and will try it once everything is up and running again
I’ll report back here my findings, hopefully success!
Thanks
Mark

I noticed these files in my Log of Events

2715405 28 April 2020 09:14:20 Fetching https://translate.phplist.org/translations.xml success
Page: updatetranslation
2715404 27 April 2020 10:55:22 Fetching https://translate.phplist.org/translations.xml success
Page: updatetranslation
2715403 27 April 2020 10:42:38 Fetching https://www.phplist.com/files/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt.md5 success
Page: pageaction
2715402 27 April 2020 10:42:37 Fetching https://www.phplist.com/files/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt success

Not sure if they mean anything

Hi,

I deleted the old phplist, manually downloaded, unpacked and installed version 3.5.2 and it seemed to be working fine

I attempted to update to latest version, it backed up fine and then when it attempted to download, it is stuck again at “Download in Progress”

I looked at my running processes and this is there:
/opt/cpanel/ea-php72/root/usr/bin/php-cgi /home2/mississa/public_html/lists/updater/index.php Today at 15:49

I looked at my error log and there is no reference to lists or phplist in the error log

Now I don’t know what is happening.

My isp (Bluehost) does not help with 3rd party software.

I read something somewhere about being able to write to directory, could they have recently changed something to stop write permissions? How can I check this?

Thanks for any help with this,
Mark

Hello,
I went ahead and manually downloaded 3.5.3, unpacked and uploaded all the files, changed the config file, manually uploaded/installed 8 plugins, added a few additional image files used on my confirmation and landing pages, currently sending out my weekly newsletter and the latest version seems to be working fine - it was a lot of work and I forgot how great the auto updater was!

Let’s hope that the auto-updater works next time I need it. I’ll post here again once another newer version is released.

Thank you,
Mark

Hello!

After manually reinstalling my PHPList to 3.5.3 back on April 29th, I was able to automatically update to 3.5.4 today!!

There must have been a file missing, modified or something when I tried to auto update 3.5.2 to 3.5.3

Thanks to everyone for their help

Have a great weekend!

Mark

1 Like

Hello.

How do you fix or setup the sys_temp_dir PHP value, please ?

Hello!

I fixed it by pointing it to a directory which PHP has the privilege to write to.

If you google for “fixing the sys_temp_dir PHP value”, you will find a lot of details.

Tried the automatic updater on a new phplist installation and it’s got stuck on ‘updater is loading’.

Have followed this forum thread and got to this point of trying to fix the ‘sys_temp_dir’ . Seems this can be found in the php.ini file but I can’t see that parameter in there! If I add it I don’t understand what value I give it?

Is that the right thing to do anyway? Seems loads of people are having trouble with this and there’s nothing definitive on the forum aside from varius suggestions to try.

One of the suggestions mentioned an action.txt file which I found in the phplist / config folder and it says ‘{“continue”:false,“step”:16}’ - I don’t know what to do with it though. What does it mean?

Any ideas about what I need to do with the ‘sys_temp_dir’? Is that actually going to fix this?

The phplist dashboard currently says v3.6.13 whch I think is the latest version so maybe it’s got that far. However at the moment it says:

phpList is in maintenance mode.
Please try again in half an hour.

But it’s been saying that for a fair few hours now!

Any ideas?