Repeated error message when processing bounces

Have recently upgraded to version 3.2.5 and copied the MySQL database from the old installation (2.10.190)

Now each time I “process bounces” I get the following code on the page (see below). Obviously the first line make sense, but after that I get a repeated error message. Does anyone know what’s causing this error message and what i can do to stop it happening each time I process bounces?

Many thanks in advance for your help with this issue

Phil

Processed messages will be deleted from mailbox
Database error 1267 while doing query Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='
Database error 1267 while doing query Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='
Database error 1267 while doing query Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation ‘=’

some of your tables use "utf8_general_ci’ as the characterset, and some of the tables use ‘latin1_swedish_ci’.

You would want to figure out which tables use the latin1… and convert them over to utr8…

That should eliminate the problem.

Hi Dan

Wow, you really know your stuff. Many thanks for your answers.

Right . . . having looked at the tables in the MySQL database for this particular phplist installation. It seems many of the tables are set to: varchar (255) latin1_swedish_ci

Can I ask you whether it’s safe to change all the affected tables to: varchar (255) utf8_general_ci directly in phpmyadmin?

To do this, I can look in each table and find the field in the “structure” tab which defines the charset. If I then go to edit that particular field and change it to utf8_general_ci and then save (leaving the varchar and 255 parameters as I found them,. is there any danger that things will mess up?

Would appreciate if you could let me know if

1. this is a good way to do it (I don’t know much about MySQL queries so wouldn’t know how to do it globally)

2. whether there’s any danger in messing up the database when changing it the way I’ve described above?

Many thanks as always

Phil

Hi Phil,

You can use the phpmyadmin interface to change the table character type.

It shouldn’t cause an problems in the database.

Dan

@phillegg I suspect that the stream of error messages are being caused by one field. Look at the phplist_user_user table using phpmyadmin to find the collation of the email field.
In my case the collation is utf8_general_ci but yours might be latin1_swedish_ci. If it is then change the collation to utf8_general_ci. You can do that in phpmyadmin using the Change button at the bottom of that page.