Phplist track function does not work well after upgrading to v3.27 from v3.26

Hi,there,
After upgrading to v3.27 from v3.26 phplist track function does not work well.The tracking function in v3.2.6 worked perfect.But after upgrading to 3.27,it does not work that good.I tested it last night and found that if I opened my aol email account,my phplist view open immediately reflected it.however if i opened my gmail email account and yahoo email account,the tracking function did not work at all.and my thunderbird email client would display:To protect your privacy,thunderbird has blocked remote content in this message,the phplist view opens had no reflection,but if I click:show remote content in this message,then the phplist view opens immediately has a reflection.
I think tracking function is the most important function of phpList.Is there anybody who can help solve this issue?Thanks!
Joe

Anybody has similar issue,or just me?Any hint on how solve this issue?
Thanks!

Joe

The tracking in phpList is a function of spacer gifs and images, as I understand. If the mail client doesn’t reveal the images, the email won’t be tracked.

I’d suggest looking at email coding techniques to try to work around these mail client defaults.

Peace,
Jo (no -e)

1 Like

Hi,Jo (no -e),
Thanks for your reply!The problem for me is that I don’t have enough computer knowledge,not mention of coding.I can only know to follow phplist manual to make it work,to my surprise!Then I can only use my intuition to ask why the tracking function in version3.26 works great but does not work that well with version3.27?Then I become desperate…So if you knowledgeable and smart people can tweak on these mail clients and make the tracking function work smoothly,this will help us a lot. I think the tracking function is one of the core functions for phplist.

Joe

@pl0117 The link tracking method did not change in release 3.2.7. The behaviour that you described will have been happening before the upgrade and is expected. [quote=“pl0117, post:1, topic:2494”]
if i opened my gmail email account and yahoo email account,the tracking function did not work at all.and my thunderbird email client would display:To protect your privacy,thunderbird has blocked remote content in this message
[/quote]

Most email clients will ask whether to enable remote images.

Do some research on “coding to show images in email.”

I’m not a phpList developer, just a communicator who has experienced that issue, off and on, with a multitude of email clients (I have people still on AOL…) and have had to make periodic adjustments as email clients/webmail preprocessors change and affect the display of my html emails.

Peace,
Jo (no -e)

Isn’t this something that was addressed by one of the new features introduced in phpList 3.2.5 though? Quoting from phpList 3.2.5 what’s new: subscriber stats, new placeholders, auto-embed | Open Source newsletter software | phpList.org

Embed images from external domains
A new feature contributed by bertpoort, this allows phpList to automatically embed all external images within an HTML email campaign. Often images in campaigns the are blocked by mail clients by default. One way to ensure your images are viewed is to embed them. This works especially well for logos and small images.