back to phpList.org

Phplist --- multiple users -- multiple permission levels

Hi.

Looking over the phplist/demo app for the admin side. The app appears to have “subscribers”.

Are subscribers the same as users? Ie, can multiple users access a phplist instance, and different users use phplist to send emails to their unique/different group of users?

If this is correct, does phplist have the ability to assign different roles/user permission levels to the given users who sign up for phplist??

Or, would I have to analyse and rip apart the app to introduce different user role/permissions to be managed by the admin process?

Is anyone looking at doing this? Has there been any kind of fork to accomplish this??

thanks

No, subscribers are just that, people (or organisations) that have subscribed to your newsletters. Users are those people who run the phplist installation, ie: the ones that create the newsletters.

Yes, multiple users can send unique newsletters to groups, but only a superadmin can see everything.

Pro-tip: in most documentation the multi-admin users are called sub-admins.

Thanks for the clarification on the “users/subscribers”.

However, with regards to different roles/permissions. Does phplist provide the ability to assign different roles/permissions to users who sign up to the site?

I’m looking to modify phplist to have certain users be able to see/view certain menus/content on the site.

Does phplist have the underlying logic/tbl structure to handle different role/permissions for users. If it does I could trigger off the different roles (or add additional roles).

thanks

What was said earlier is not correct. “Subscribers” and “users” are the same thing. Prior to phplist 3 they were called users, but now are usually referred to as subscribers, but documentation is probably still inconsistent.

People who sign-up to your phplist are registering to receive email newsletters from you, not to administer phplist itself. You create additional administrators yourself manually.

• People who sign up as subscribers cannot be converted to admins
  • Admins can’t sign themselves up (must be added by another admin)
  • subadmins can have different access permissions (configured when you add them), but these permissions are not grouped into roles per se

Hope that helps!

Hi Sam.

**People who sign up as subscribers cannot be converted to admins
Ok, so say I have a “user” who signs up.
I can mod phplist to then give this user “admin” privs. In fact I could mod the app to do this as part of the reg/signup process.

**Admins can’t sign themselves up (must be added by another admin)
(see above)

**subadmins can have different access permissions (configured when you add them), but these permissions are not grouped into roles per se

I saw in the demo for the config section (if I recall) where there are a number of different “categories” that an admin/subadmin can be granted. Is this correct.

If phplist has different “subadmin/admin” categories, then the basic “structure” I’d need is there for me to mod the app to bend it to my will!

In theory:

I could assign a user on signup/registration with a subadmin “category”/role

I could then restrict access of different menus/pages, based on the category of the user. Again, logic changes.

But I’m imagining the underlying table schema/logic structure would be adaptable to what I’m considering.