Phplist configured for AWS SES, forward to friend message not working

I have been using phplist for long time using my local smtp server. I change to AWS SES service few months ago successfully. I had sent several campaigns without issues.

However,during last campaign I had noticed that many of my subscriber when tried to forward my newsletter the process failed.
I think it is because SES not recognize the sender as an authorize one ( may be the forwarded message has as sender the email address of the subscriber, not the phplist administrator email).

Here a copy of the log:

Amazon SES status 400 HTTP/1.1 100 Continue HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request x-amzn-RequestId: 5-a652-ab7368397586 Content-Type: text/xml Content-Length: 276 Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 04:53:06 GMT Sender MessageRejected Email address is not verified. 1e5-a652-ab7368397586

I already tried with a cero (0) and one(1) configuration here: define(“KEEPFORWARDERATTRIBUTES”,0); but it does not correct the issue.

Do you have a solution or workaround to this?

This problem was raised on the old forums but doesn’t seem to have had any solution https://forums.phplist.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=39979&p=103983&hilit=amazon#p98503

You could raise an issue on the bug tracking system https://mantis.phplist.org/view_all_bug_page.php and add your suggestion of a configurable From address for forwarding.

1 Like

I know this is a very old thread, but I am having this problem in 2020 too. Many on my list are complaining that they cannot forward campaigns. Has anyone come up with a fix or a workaround? With so many people using Amazon SES for mailing these days, I would think this must be an issue for others too.

It seems to be failing because the forwarder is (naturally) not on the approved list of Amazon senders. So somehow phplist has to be made to forward/requeue the message as if it is coming from the list and not from the person forwarding it.

When I forward a message myself it works fine, of course, because I’ve added my e-mail to the approved list of SES senders.

@dschaller Do you mind testing this change that uses the original From address when forwarding, instead of the address of the subscriber who is forwarding

You will need to be using the latest release of phplist, 3.5.5, then you can simple replace the file admin/sendemaillib.php.

I will be glad to try it! Thank you for such a quick response. I was going to try digging into the code myself in a week or two, but hopefully this will work. I will report back.