back to phpList.org

PHP 4.0 Password update fails

Upgrade from 3.3.? to 3.4 using normal process. Kept existing config file. Admin login failed. Requested token, clicked, entered new password, message indicated success.

However, when I try to login, I get a message that the password has failed. When I check the DB, my password shows as NULL.

Obviously, because of encryption, I can’t post the PW directly to the DB.

Public access where no PW is required works.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get in short of a fresh installation?

Thanks

You should be able to type your password in to the password field in the database, but remember to select MD5 I think in the dropdown. I’ve not had this issue so can only make a suggestion here.

You can enter a new plaintext password directly into the db , using phpmyadmin or a simple SQL update command.

phpList will automatically detect that the password is plaintext and hash it the first time it runs (on any page).

Thanks. I’ve tried your suggestion but sadly the DB isn’t retaining the change to MD5 although it is hashing the plain text. Even so, the login fails on password error.

I wonder if the fact that I’ve not logged in and therefore not run the update script is at the root of the problem.

Thanks. I’ve tried your suggestion but although it is hashing the plain text the login fails on password error.

I wonder if the fact that I’ve not logged in and therefore not run the update script is at the root of the problem.

Thanks, everyone.

It was operator error. We migrated the platform to a new server host and stupidly I was updating a user field instead of the admin record. Somehow they share an e-mail address and although I was puzzled by the record number of 28k+, and the fact that there was not, in the user table, a user number one, I didn’t notice there was an admin table. I was trying to login to with the user name and the admin password.

There was no tech problem, just the perennial problem of allowing an idiot loose with a keyboard.

Thanks again.

Happy you found a solution