Is there a guide on how to setup a phpList development environment on my computer?

I’d like to make another run at setting up a development system on my computer, and connect to the github code repository for phpList. Can anyone provide some guidance? I can document how to do this, once it is done.

If it’s better to use a skype or google hangout to go over this, or if it’s easier, then that’s what I’d like to do.

Dan

3 Likes

Yes, I wrote some stuff here, https://resources.phplist.com/develop/infrastructure
but you’re welcome to improve on it.

Thanks Michiel. Since I’m a newbie at this, I’ll be able to go at it starting with a blank mind (!). I’ll make notes of what I didn’t understand right away, and will try to document what I did to figure it out.

Stay tuned…

Hi Dan,
I can run through my setup using Skype with screen sharing. I don’t want to publish my Skype id here, so I will send it to you in an email.

2 Likes

Thanks Duncan, maybe we can do this on Wednesday if you have any time.

Hi, please make sure to update that documentation with any extra info you think will help others :slight_smile:

Having just setup the development environment myself, I think that this page may now be slightly out of date:
https://resources.phplist.com/develop/infrastructure

Specifically, the section that says:

You will need to checkout the external repositories to get everything, as not all components are stored in the main phpList repository.
Particularly the theme, “dressprow”

From what I can see, “dressprow” is included in the .gitmodules file, so, as advised at the top of the page, if you run:
git submodule init git submodule update
then it’s not necessary to also clone the dressprow project. In fact, if you do try you will receive an error:
fatal: destination path 'dressprow' already exists and is not an empty directory.

Hope that helps.

@michiel did we move dressprow? I guess so…

no, dressprow is in the same place. But it sounds like the folder has been added to the main repo and shouldn’t. I’ll check. Removing the empty folder should be fine.

Ah, now I see. The “git submodule init” and “git submodule update” already creates dressprow, so the instructions to add it are obsolete. I will update the page on the wiki

1 Like

Yep, that’s exactly it. I see you’ve updated the wiki already, thanks.