Is it possible to change these SMTP header definitions?

I just got an email to send out finally. When sending to this one test address on Comcast’s systems, it only went through after I upped the SMTP delay:
define(‘SMTP_TIMEOUT’,20);

(Curiously, the email WAS going through before I upped that delay from 5 or 10 seconds, but the SMTP process was reporting an error back.)

Here is a snippet of the debug logs after I increased the timeout setting:

CLIENT -> SERVER: EHLO santiamwine.com
CLIENT -> SERVER: AUTH LOGIN
CLIENT -> SERVER: MAIL FROM:<bounces@santiamwine.com>

CLIENT -> SERVER: RCPT TO:<name@domain.net>
CLIENT -> SERVER: DATA
CLIENT -> SERVER: From: Abc <abc@santiamwine.com>
CLIENT -> SERVER: Subject: Test Sending
CLIENT -> SERVER: Bounces-To: bounces@santiamwine.com
CLIENT -> SERVER: List-Owner: <mailto:def@santiamwine.com>

I have a few questions:
Is it possible to get the ‘Mail From’ value to match the ‘From’ value? Wouldn’t this help make it more anti-spam robust?

Is there a way to alter the ‘List-Owner’ value? It does show up in the email headers on the receiver’s end - probably not a huge deal, but I’d like to keep various pieces of the email headers as coordinated as possible to prevent possible spam flagging. I have the ‘Use Admin details…’ setting turned off:

define('USE_ADMIN_DETAILS_FOR_MESSAGES', 0);

I’d like to either exclude that value altogether (not exactly sure what purpose it provides) or set it to be a system address. The current address ‘def@santiamwine.com’ is my email, which is only configured as the ‘system owner’ email.

Thanks,
J

It looks like your “Mail From” is using the ‘envelope’ address specified in the config.php file. No, I don’t think it would make a difference for spam ratings.

You should separate your ‘everyday email’ from anything that phpList uses. Ideally you would use different mail servers, too.

At the minimum, you should setup a couple of email boxes just for the system. One for the system owner, one for the bounce email box, and one for the responses… i.e. 'newsletters@mydomain.com"