Internationally formatted emails supported?

I just tried to manually add: чебурашка@ящик-с-апельсинами.рф to the database. (v 3.2.6)

PS. this is a fictive email address ( https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Email_address&oldformat=true#Internationalization )

I got this error:
Database error 1267 while doing query Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='
Database error 1267 while doing query Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='
Database error 1267 while doing query Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation ‘=’

And also, the user was immediately blacklisted ( Subscriber is blacklisted. No emails will be sent to this email address. )

Is this due to my database somehow ? It was created a loooong time ago using an older version and I have gradually upgraded to newer versions of phplist over time.
Or is this a limitation of phplist ?

Advice appreciated

This seems to show that some of the tables/columns do not have the correct collation, which should be some variant of utf8. That should have been changed when you upgraded from phplist 2.x to 3.x but it doesn’t always seem to have worked.

To fix this you need to change the collation for table columns individually as I don’t think that there is a way to change all columns at once. Any column that holds text such as a varchar needs to have the utf8_general_ci collation, such as the email column in the user table

Thank you. I will look into this.
Is it a relatively safe change to make to the database ?