Installing phpList manually: manual chapter feedback and discussion

Thanks Dragonrider,

re: “If you change the phplist folder (directory) to a name other than lists, you’d need to add the following line to your lists/config/config.php file.”
> Actually found it in the lists/config/config_extended.php file

I made changes and then inserted it into the last line of the config.php file, and saved changes in UTF-8 format + FTP’ed the changed file.
I noticed that the config.php file opened with: <?php
but that this was left open (no “” ).
Is that okay?

Also, I un-commented the Credits/$stats_collection
 to Cc me personally, by separating with a comma (no blank space). Will the following work?
$stats_collection_address = ‘phplist-stats@phplist.com’,‘xyz@bestfooting.net’;
If not, I will remove my email address.
I did change $pageroot = 
 per your instructions, it should work.

Oh no, just tried to login to Admin - it doesn’t run:

[404] Not Found
The requested URL /php_list_newsletters_management/admin was not found on this server.

I had edited the config.php file with everything 
 Do I now need to replace it with the original/unedited config.php file unchanged (except for the $pageroot = 
 }?

To what did you change the $pageroot to?

You say at the start your phplist is at lists/ yet you later say it is at /php_list_newsletters_management/ can you see the difference?

Yes, config.php file opens with <?php and no closing ?>, this is a added security option so I’ve been told.

$stats alteration won’t work as you have it, sorry.

Thanks Dragonrider.
regarding 

To what did you change the $pageroot to?
You say at the start your phplist is at lists/ yet you later say it is at /{deleted} can you see the difference?

I did not want to actually publish the URL to the installation, in order to prevent its harvesting by bots (see why below).
Therefore, if the URL of the phpList installation is in a sub-directory of my website.com, named /my_php-list_installation, then the $pageroot is formatted like this 

[uncommented] $pageroot = ‘/my_php-list_installation’;

regarding 

$stats alteration won’t work as you have it, sorry

Okay, thought I would give it a shot. Will leave it as the default.

One last question, regarding 

Oh no, just tried to login to Admin - it doesn’t run:
I had edited the config.php file with everything 
 Do I now need to replace it with the original/unedited config.php file unchanged (except for the $pageroot = 
 }?

The question remains: Do I need to replace my finished/edited config.php file with the original one? If “yes” then will the built-in installer going to give me the opportunity to change the pageroot, or will I be forever stuck with the /list installation URL?

I can send you a copy of my re-edited config.php if you want. I haven’t used IRC for decades, but you can always find my e-mail account (just Google MyName.COM and use the “” link in the bottom center of every webpage’s header frame).

mfg/b. reg,
mark

Why do I want to create a unique URL for my phpList installation?
Because bots will query the “/lists” directory of every registered Domain Name in the world, like this 

every-domain-name-in--the-world.com/lists

If those bots receive any valid reply from that domain name’s server, then the bot KNOWS that this website has an installation of phpList!

If/when a vulnerability/exploit of phpList created, the hack is on for everybody.

I learned the hard way to change installation URLs to hide them from bots, just as I use Javascript to hide e-mail accounts (over 15 years in use, and not a single published e-mail account has ever been harvested by spam-bots - knock on wood).

Good thinking Batman!

No, keep your edited file, just make sure you change the $pageroot to match the actual path to your phplist installation.

I already took it back to “out of the box” - installed in mydomainname.com/lists.
I only the dbase access edited (localhost,database name, username and password) to the config.php file. (I asked the hosting service, they said “localhost” will work.)

Now, I am using the tutorial to initialize the installation.
After I have it up and running, then I will change the filepath, from “/lists” to “/my_unique_url” and change the $pageroot 

I will also add about 2 dozen lines of code from the config_extended.php to the bottom of the config.php file.
I’ll let you know how it works.

who can teaching me if we don’t use phplist as email sending service , but keep mail list on phplist so how to put “unsubscribe” link in email to let email receiver click it to unsubscribe?

I have fixed this issue by “Drgonrider” this article.

Dragonrider,
I promised to let you know how it goes.
No Va! {It doesn’t go}

re: “No, keep your edited file, just make sure you change the $pageroot to match the actual path to your phplist installation.”

Done, but no response when I try to run the installation at » best-equestrian-footing-fibers.net/pHp_list-newsletters/lists/admin/

I think it is the pageroot issue, the DB setup was fairly simple.
Here is an obscured copy from the config.php file

=== cite ====
\ what is your Mysql database server hostname
$database_host = ‘localhost’;
\what is the name of the database we are using
$database_name = ‘pHpbeff’;
\ what user has access to this database
$database_user = 'pHp
beff’;
\ and what is the password to login to control the database
$database_password = ‘Lr************************’;
=== end cite ====

Here is how I have it installed 

======= install filepaths/filenames ======
1» My ROOT for this domain name is: best-equestrian-footing-fibers.net | I will create a Static-HTML website at the root.
This is a virtual (shared) hosting account. The root for the hosting account is: /public_html

The actual root for this domain name is: /public_html/best-equestrian-footing-fibers.net/

2» For the pHpList application, I created a subdirectory: /pHp_list-newsletters
This is the path to the installation: /public_html/best-equestrian-footing-fibers.net/pHp_list-newsletters/

3» I uploaded the folder and contents of the /list directory like this:
/public_html/best-equestrian-footing-fibers.net/pHp_list-newsletters/lists/

4» I found the pageroot setting in the config_extended.php, copied it into the bottom of the config.php file, and began editting the pageroot configuration.

5» First I tried this pageroot:
$pageroot = ‘/pHp_list-newsletters’;
That didn’t work.

6» Then I tried it like this:
$pageroot = ‘/pHp_list-newsletters/lists’;
====== end install filepaths/filenames ======*

Still nothing when I access the installer
» best-equestrian-footing-fibers.net/pHp_list-newsletters/lists/admin/

Three Queries:

§ Are the five changes to the config.php file correct (the 4 DB setting and the pageroot setting)?

§ If they are correct, is there another way to get the installer to run?

§ Maybe the correct path to the installer should be matched to the program path? Something like this: best-equestrian-footing-fibers.net/pHp_list-newsletters/lists/admin/ ?

I am a mule,
Mark
(“all ears”)

Okay, I finally got an Apache error: HTTP 500 error
Uninstalled everything (over ten times now).
Reinstalled & configured = still no response in browser (just sitting dead).
Then changed the DB name/pw etc in config.php
Then upgraded from php v. 5.4 to 5.6.
Waited 10 minutes and finally got the standard Apache "HTTP " error (tested in MS edge & IE, Mozilla/Firefox and Google Chrome = all the same server error).

Now: how do I config this application, searched forum for this error, lots of people asking questions, but no answers which fix the problem (all their problems had to do with their hosting service, etc.)
My hosting account:
GoDaddy \ CPanel \ Running Linux-Apache and php version 5.6.

Hi Mark, when I look at your site address[quote=“marector, post:19, topic:212”]
http://best-equestrian-footing-fibers.net/pHp_list-newsletters/lists/
[/quote]

I see only a blank page. Can you please confirm for me that this is the correct address to see your phpList installation?
Must admit that to me personally, it is a weird you’re using, but that’s just me, sorry.

Worst case scenario, consider allowing me to view your webspace and I’ll see if there is anything that I can spot as to why you are having so muych trouble with this.

Thanks Dragonrider,

re: “Worst case scenario, consider allowing me to view your webspace and I’ll see if there is anything that I can spot as to why you are having so much trouble with this.”
Yes, I will give you ftp access to the GoDaddy hosting service (the first one, which I am still trying to run).
Is that all you need?
If ‘yes’ then give me an email so that I can send host/un/pw to you.
If “no, that’s not what I meant,” then what do you mean by “
 allowing me to view your webspace”
Remember, this is not a CMS site, this is a Static-HTML website. Okay?
re: “best-equestrian-footing-fibers.net/pHp_list-newsletters/lists/”
No, that is not my installation.
I deleted everything and installed it into the default location.

1. Since the re-install, the /LISTS is now at » best-equestrian-footing-fibers.net/lists
  2. Since the re-install, the admin is located at » best-equestrian-footing-fibers.net/lists/admin/

I now get only the Linux/Apache 500 error:

(chrome) The best-equestrian-footing-fibers.net page isn’t working
best-equestrian-footing-fibers.net is currently unable to handle this request.
(MS Edge) HTTP 500 error
That’s odd
 Microsoft Edge can’t find this page
This page can’t be displayed, because this site’s server might be under maintenance or there could be a programming error.
(MS IE) The website cannot display the page | HTTP 500
This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.
(Firefox) Blank Page - no 500 error.

After weeks of trying, I went out and installed phplist on another server, in the default manner.
The host is Webmasters.com (using their own controlpanel.com, Linux/Apache servers).

LISTS location » bestfooting.net/lists/
Admin URL » bestfooting.net/lists/admin/
Same results.
Question:
Are there ANY other settings in the config.php file which need to be edited - other than these four (with the "# "changed to “/”)
/ what is your Mysql database server hostname
$database_host = ‘localhost’;
/ what is the name of the database we are using
$database_name = ‘’;
/ what user has access to this database
$database_user = ‘****************’;
/ and what is the password to login to control the database
$database_password = ‘**************’;
The odd thing: I installed & ran phplist 10 years ago, and there was no issue. I don’t think I got dumber during that time, but maybe I’m wrong.

Yes, that’s correct, but you can simply PM me these details and I’ll have a look later today if I can.

To PM someone, simply click on their username and click on Message.

Are you sure?
A new user can login, click on your username, and get the option to send you a message?
When I click on your username and it does not offer “messages” - just a list of your posts, badges, etc.
Tried it with Chrome & Firefox - no can do.

Why don’t you just send me an email?
It is in my profile, or you could go to MarkRector.com and click on the link: (Insert your comments here).

Okay, it’s working and I discovered the reason why it was not installing: W10 filepaths/filenames were either “Too long” or “A buffer was too small” in the FTP client.
I changed the filing system location on my LOCAL computer - to shorten the filepath/filenames - and suddenly the entire /lists folder fully uploaded without any missing files or folders.
I ran a test case at another URL, and my solution worked perfectly - first time out of the box within minutes I had it up and running.
If you are interested in the permanent fix to the Windows 10 Professional problem, when using an FTP Client application, please do not hesitate to contact me.
I also created a “fixed” zip file, which you may wish to offer other new users, it is a simple yet elegant solution to the US/UE issues which many of us wil encounter, going forward. I’ve already created the ZIP file which others may use, if the want: simply upload the ZIP file into your ROOT directory, unzip it and run the program. No moving files/folders or anything.
Let me know if you’re interested, DragonRider.
mit freundlichen grĂŒĂŸen/best regards,
mark

The installation manual page should specify what version(s) of PHP are supported - and what all the prerequisites for phpList are. Or at least a web page that’s kept up-to-date with this basic info that’s necessary for an install!

Is phpList compatible with PHP v7? We’ve been running 5.6, but our host is moving to 7.0 as a default, and 7.1 is available.

@tlhackque Thanks for the suggestion – the manual page has now been updated and the change should be visible shortly.

Regarding PHP7, yes, phpList 3 and 4 run and are automatically tested against PHP 7 and 7.1. You can see all PHP versions that phpList is tested against on Travis: https://travis-ci.org/phpList/phplist3

The System Requirements page (https://resources.phplist.com/system/start) says: “PHP 5.3.3 or later”.
I spent hours trying to install version 3.3.1, getting only a blank page without any error notice, until I noticed that in two files (connect.php e defaulconfig.php) is used the random_bytes() function, which exists only in PHP 7.
Please update the requirements page!

@Tomark That’s strange because PHP 5.3 and later are tested via Travis: https://travis-ci.org/phpList/phplist3
There are compatibility libraries included which are used when random_bytes() isn’t available, but I’m not sure if they are used in all instances (such as the ones you mentioned).
Notably, remote processing isn’t tested via Travis AFAIK.

@samtuke @Tomark Currently php 5.4 is needed but there is a pending change to be able to use php 5.3.3 see https://github.com/phpList/phplist3/pull/164

But that won’t be until the next release of phplist.

A post was split to a new topic: Guide to hardening phpList