GDPR re-permission campaigns ( invite Plugin)

OK, ran a GDPR permission campaign with new Invite plugin … sent 6000, got only 8 bounces ( so far so good)

And now have 4500 clicks in the last week, of people getting signed back on.

The question is, what to do with the other 1500?

If I edit a bit and push it out again, is this kind of campaign pre-configured to re-send ONLY to the 1500 who didn’t yet take themselves off the blacklist?

Or do I have work up a SQL script to generate myself a brand new list, for all those stragglers who are “from EU, from our original send (not some old blacklist), and still sitting blacklisted”??

The majority of our EU clients actually PAY US to send them email bulletins - so I don’t think that all 1500 of those missing persons are willfully ignoring our request to get back on the list. I think it’s far more likely the initial campaign is either languishing in SPAM folders, or has been silently turfed ( no bounce-back!) by overzealous badly configured mail servers…

@mikerotec Question: Is regular payment for an email bulletin not already enough confirmation to recieve further bulletins? And thus it may only need an offer for easy Opt-out and check/change of stored personal data? Regards.

1 Like

Payment is for various other services, not just the bulletins. And not all members are paid…

Anyway, was just wondering if there was any logic for that “baked in”? ( requeue only for users still on blacklist…)

@mikerotec Then perhaps the News from the Documentation Team might be relevant for you considering how to deal with blacklisted subscribers. How long can they be stored there in compliance with GDPR (… nobody knows…)

The plugin has not been designed in that way.

You will need to create a new campaign, based on the first one.
Then send that to a new list that contains only those subscribers who were blacklisted by the first campaign. But those subscribers will need to be made confirmed and not blacklisted first.

The subscribers plugin might help you in extracting the blacklisted subscribers and then making them confirmed and not blacklisted.

3 Likes

So far, so good… I extracted the remaining blacklists from my first EU list, deleted their blacklist/blacklist_datas, confirmed them, then imported them into a new list, and sent a new invite mailer out… The first day I got 350 back! Makes me wonder how they missed the first one ( I only got handful of bounces for the first send ) - Maybe a lot of Europeans take six-week vacations in the summer? :grinning:

[This isn’t legal advice]

From my reading of the GDPR:

• If you didn’t already have informed and freely given consent before then sending a repermission campaign now may be non-GDPR-compliant
  • If your subscribers signed up to receive a service from you (and particularly if they paid for it) then you probably have ‘legitimate interest’ as justification for storing their data and need not rely on consent
  • Re-sending permission campaigns seems particularly unlikely to be compliant (even if it gets you good results) – if you requested permission explicitly and didn’t get it, then requesting it again seems risky

Well, 100% of our website users actually have explicitly signed up for an email notification service (we regularly send them critical-to-safety service bulletins for their aircraft ), so perhaps in our particular case this is a bit of an academic exercise. Still I feel obligated to try to make sure everyone who we have signed up IS actually receiving our sends (after all, many of them do PAY US to keep them informed…)

@mikerotec Yes, and keeping lists clean in this way is very good practice, and your list totals more accurately reflect your engaged audience. Before the GDPR, the invite plugin was primarily used for this purpose, not compliance.