Final stages of mailout sending 3 messages at a time

Hi everyone.

I have a mail out in progress going to about 2300 recipients. It progressed well sending 300 messages per hour, but for that last 24 hours has been only sending 3 messages at a time.

I have a cronjob set up to process the queue every 60 minutes.

Below is the email notification I’m receiving after each batch is sent.

Does anyone know what might have caused it to slow?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can provide.

[Wed 8 Jun 2016 07:00] [CL] Started
[Wed 8 Jun 2016 07:00] [CL] Sending in batches of 300 messages
[Wed 8 Jun 2016 07:00] [CL] This batch will be 297 emails, because in the last 3600 seconds 3 emails were sent
[Wed 8 Jun 2016 07:00] [CL] Processing has started,
[Wed 8 Jun 2016 07:00] [CL] One campaign to process.
[Wed 8 Jun 2016 07:00] [CL] Processing message 3
[Wed 8 Jun 2016 07:00] [CL] Looking for subscribers
[Wed 8 Jun 2016 07:00] [CL] Found them: 54 to process
[Wed 8 Jun 2016 07:04] [CL] Processed 54 out of 54 subscribers
[Wed 8 Jun 2016 07:04] [CL] Script stage: 5
[Wed 8 Jun 2016 07:04] [CL] 3 messages sent in 280.80 seconds (38 msgs/hr)
[Wed 8 Jun 2016 07:04] [CL] 51 failed (will retry later)

This seems to indicate that some email addresses are failing and phplist is retrying. The event log might have more information about what they are.

Hi Duncan, thanks for your reply. I tried the event log, but it just provides the same message.

Is there somewhere I can find out what the failed addresses are?

@derekjwhitten You can enable verbose in your config file

define ("VERBOSE",1);

Thanks @duncanc I’ve updated my config file and see what’s in the log next time the cronjob runs.

The detailed logs have shown that the remaining emails were all Gmail and due to the delay I’d set on a single domain it couldn’t only send 3 at a time.

This was only a problem towards the end because the number of emails to process was so small that the batch didn’t run long enough to allow more than 3 to be sent to a single domain each time.

I had set DOMAIN_AUTO_THROTTLE to 0 which I think was the cause of this. I’ve changed it to 1, so in future phpList should add a short delay between emails to prevent this from happening again.

I’ll see how it goes on my next mailout.