Fatal error: Unable to create campaign, did you forget to upgrade the database?

Hi,
I’m a new phpList user. I am trying to migrate a database from an old server to a new one.
I can see my subscriber lists and all that and everything seems to be working except that I get the this error when trying to create a campaign:

" Fatal error: Unable to create campaign, did you forget to upgrade the database? "

I did a manual install of phplist and I imported the old database to phpMyAdmin on my host server

the phplist version is v3.5.5

the php version on my host instance is 7.4 and the MySQL version is 5.7

the database I imported is old, so I am guessing that is the problem, but I have no idea how to upgrade it…

Any help in the right direction would be much appreciated!

also, there is a similar post about this here: Fatalerror: Unable to create campaign, did you forget to upgrade the database?

but it didn’t really make sense to me…

This might be because the post refers to an installation of phpList that is hosted by phpList, not by yourself on your own server/web space.

To check your database is up to date, check out the System links in your admin pages, there are a number that offer database updates and checks there.

1 Like

thanks, I’ll check that

Do you mean that I should update phpMyAdmin? It is version 4.9.1 with the latest being 4.9.5

Okay, so I think the database has been upgraded. In fact when I first imported and logged in it asked to be upgraded and I did so. But still there is this error when trying to start a new campaign. Interestingly, I can continue one of the old campaign in the drafts, and send test emails out.
Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Sky

@skyleuba you can try verifying the database structure as there might be something wrong with the message table,
menu system > verify database structure

It looks good except:

@skyleuba It looks like your original phplist database was too old to be updated to 3.5.5.

Depending on how far you have got with this, it might be best to upgrade your original phplist to the latest release, then transfer the database, if that is possible.

Otherwise you will have to add that column and any indexes to the database manually. The database schema is in file admin/structure.php.
But there may be other database changes that have not been applied which are not yet causing any problems, which is why upgrading the original database is safer.

okay, thank you! I’ll look into it.

Blockquote also, there is a similar post about this here Fatalerror: Unable to create campaign, did you forget to upgrade the database?
but it didn’t really make sense to me…

and as everything around it got fixed in a matter of days=)

1 Like

Thanks for this help!

I get this error too the version is Fri, 26 May 2023
phpList 3.6.13 released: New updater
in the db check everything is ok …
some idea ?