back to phpList.org

Config bounce set up

I have set up a cron job for bounces and I am receiving bounce messages to my email address at bounces@myserver.com

However, I am not getting any notifications in PhpList. I went into config and saw the following so I am a bit confused:

// when the protocol is pop, specify these three
$bounce_mailbox_host = ‘localhost’;
$bounce_mailbox_user = ‘* removed ';
$bounce_mailbox_password = ’
removed *’;

@DanOShea phpList needs to be able to monitor the bounces mailbox to read the mail. See: https://www.phplist.org/manual/ch040_bounce-management.xhtml

I replaced the following with:
$bounce_mailbox_host = ‘localhost’;
$bounce_mailbox_user = ‘* removed ';
$bounce_mailbox_password = ’
removed *’;

$bounce_mailbox_host = ‘mail.digdevdirect-us.com’;
$bounce_mailbox_user = ‘danoshea@digdevdirect-us.com’;
$bounce_mailbox_password = ’password123’;
(Not exact password)

But it appears PhpList is still not pulling the data from the server.

Thanks, you pointed me in the right direction. I’ll put this down in process of elimination bullet points for others:

1. Create email address in Cpanel specifically for bounces. (Which I did - bounces@digdevedirect-us.com)
  2. I was getting the bounces in my email client, but none in PhpList. So I had to do some testing as to why. I corrected the email credentials to the following in the PhpList config file -
    $bounce_mailbox_host = ‘mail.digdevdirect-us.com’;
    $bounce_mailbox_user = ‘danoshea@digdevdirect-us.com’;
    $bounce_mailbox_password = ’password123’;
  3. I had turned off the setting for manually processing bounces as I had set up a Cron job. So I reset it to “1” temporarily so the “Process Bounce” tab would show in “Manage Bounces” in PhpList.
    // set this to 0, if you set up a cron to download bounces regularly by using the
    // commandline option. If this is 0, users cannot run the page from the web
    // frontend. Read README.commandline to find out how to set it up on the
    // commandline
    define(‘MANUALLY_PROCESS_BOUNCES’, 1);
  4. Finally, out of the three pop options, my server only accepted the strict SSL, as I needed to use Port 995.
    // the “port” is the remote port of the connection to retrieve the emails
    // the default should be fine but if it doesn’t work, you can try the second
    // one. To do that, add a # before the first line and take off the one before the
    // second line
    // $bounce_mailbox_port = ‘110/pop3/notls’;
    // $bounce_mailbox_port = “110/pop3”;

// it’s getting more common to have secure connections, in which case you probably want to use
$bounce_mailbox_port = “995/pop3/ssl/novalidate-cert”;

Once I had the connection, the bounces immediately came through.

I went and reset my Cron by setting ‘1’ back to ‘0’ removing the manual processing of bounces.

@DanOShea Happy to hear it’s working now. Thanks so much for sharing your solution with the rest of us!