Advanced Bouncing Question

I know, that there should be a separate mail for bounce mails. But is there a possibility, that the bounce mail could also be the sending mail. I ve tried it and it works, but as already documented in the documentation, this will empty all mails.

How about, if phplist only removes the mails, which match only the rules and let the other mails in the box as they are so Administrators could add other regex. The positive side is that you can use one mail for everything. If you don’t understand very well: Destination mail = Bounce mail and only emails, which are matched by the rules (550 error for example) get deleted and nothing else in the email box.

Could this be made per settings or not?

Would be a nice setting I believe…

I don’t recommend that you set the bounce email address to the same as the ‘from’ address. You have identified the issue with doing that.

phpList reads the bounce email box (all of the emails) into the phpList database, and then processes them, looking for bounces.

Yeah I know, that this is done this way, but I have asked for an “work-around”. But I think there’s no possibility, because the pop command will download all mails to the server and then this will get deleted. Perhaps if they (devs of phplist) would code something like imap for bounces and add a code behavior, that only mails, which match the rule “xyz” will be deleted and not the whole box.

Will look for another setting, if this could work.

// set this to 0 if you want to keep your messages in the mailbox. this is potentially
// a problem, because bounces will be counted multiple times, so only do this if you are
// testing things.
$bounce_mailbox_purge = 1;

// set this to 0 if you want to keep unprocessed messages in the mailbox. Unprocessed
// messages are messages that could not be matched with a user in the system
// messages are still downloaded into phpList, so it is safe to delete them from
// the mailbox and view them in phpList
$bounce_mailbox_purge_unprocessed = 1