Administrative Messages won't Send

I am trying to determine why the administrative alerts that tell when the queue is being sent don’t fire off. I wonder if it is related to the fact that the confirmation emails will also not send. In fact, it doesn’t even seem to try. It just pops up with SORRY, the confirmation couldn’t be sent. It has worked right for a long time but about 4 weeks ago, this popped up and I really need it to start working again.

Can someone tell me where the email settings for confirmation email are located? The docs are a little vague in this area and simply assume it will work correctly without ever needing fixed.

Thanks,
Doug Davis

@Dougster Is there anything in the event log? Possibly you are trying to send using a From address that is not valid or allowed.

The event log shows that SMTP() failed … however the emails all going out when sending to the list. So, are the admin and confirm emails sent using different methods than the list?

@Dougster What about the From address that you are using? System emails will use the field on the Settings page, whereas you enter a specific From address for a campaign.

The From Address is identical in both places. It is the active ListAdmin account for Monical’s Pizza.

Douglas S. Davis
Information Systems Coordinator

Monical Pizza Corporation
815.929.2074 - office
815.644.4863 - mobile

This communication may contain proprietary and confidential information for the sole use of the intended recipient.
If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any other dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. Anyone who receives this message in error should notify the sender immediately
by telephone or by return e-mail and delete it from their computer.

@Dougster I think that all system emails are sent by the function sendMailPhpMailer in file admin/lib.php around line 427

If you are sending through an smtp server then you can enable debug, which might show what is not working

add these lines

$mail->SMTPDebug = 3;
$mail->Debugoutput = 'html';

immediately after this line which is line 454

$mail = new PHPlistMailer('systemmessage', $destinationemail, false);

Then generate a system email, such as by adding a new subscriber using a subscribe page, while signed-in as an admin. There should then be some output showing the exchange with the smtp server.

WOW!!! That showed me exactly what was going on. It was trying to attach to the smtp server using SSL on port 25. I changed it and SWOOSH … everything went perfectly.

Thanks again for all the help,
Doug

dumb question for @Dougster - where did you change this?