USING PHPLIST with GOOGLE APPS

Need help in configuring phpList to work with google apps email accounts for both the bounce messages and sending. I have tried several of the suggestions and none seem to work so I am missing something. I have gone from authenticate message to timeout to blank screen, frustrated. Thought it would be easy to change…

Which ones?
This topic Send Using Google App SMTP Account looks to be accurate.

CHnaged only these lines in config.php:

$message_envelope = 'news@mydomain.org';
# when the protocol is pop, specify these three
$bounce_mailbox_host = 'pop.gmail.com';
$bounce_mailbox_user = 'news@mydomain.org';
$bounce_mailbox_password = 'password';

# it's getting more common to h`indent preformatted text by 4 spaces`ave secure connections, in which case you probably want to use
$bounce_mailbox_port = "995/pop3/ssl/novalidate-cert";

I get this message when checking bounces: Cannot create POP3 connection to pop.gmail.com: Can not authenticate to POP3 server: [AUTH] Web login required: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754

Those changes apply only to retrieving bounces, not to sending out.

The error message links to a page that seems to explain what you need to look at. You might have to enable “less secure apps” in order to allow phplist access to the pop mailbox.

Please can you edit your post to display the php code as code instead of text, use the </> button on the edit toolbar.

I have changed google apps to allow “less secure apps” to no avail and have made the changes for sending messages as well.

Get unable to connect in log files.
By adding the section you reference the checking for bounces now works, but still unable to send.

define("PHPMAILERHOST",'pop.gmail.com');

# in the above you can specify multiple SMTP servers like this:
# 'server1:port1;server2:port2;server3:port3' eg
#define('PHPMAILERHOST','smtp1.mydomain.com:25;smtp2.mydomain.com:2500;smtp3.phplist.com:5123');

# if you want to use smtp authentication when sending the email uncomment the following
# two lines and set the username and password to be the correct ones
$phpmailer_smtpuser = 'news@bowlpa.org';
$phpmailer_smtppassword = 'password';

## you can set this to send out via a different SMTP port
 define('PHPMAILERPORT',465);

## test vs blast
# you can send test messages via a different SMTP host than the actual campaign queue 
# if not set, these default to the above PHPMAILERHOST and PHPMAILERPORT
# define('PHPMAILERTESTHOST','testsmtp.mydomain.com');
# define('PHPMAILERBLASTHOST','livesmtp.mydomain.com');
# define('PHPMAILERBLASTPORT',25);

# to use SSL/TLS when sending set this value
# it can either be "ssl" or "tls", nothing else
define("PHPMAILER_SECURE",'ssl');

this needs to be smtp.gmail.com for sending.

Yes, picked up on that as well, Still not sending. Double checked, tripled checked the password and still no success.

You should check whether port 465 is open or has been blocked. If phplist is not connecting then that is likely.