Updated to 3.3.7 and now it won't connect to the server

@jodywhitesides Backup the database so that you can restore it if and when you figure out what the problem actually is.

I have reinstalled PHPList. This still did not solve the issue. So I tried something else where I turned off using the SMTP server. It now works, but this concerns me because the PHP Mail function that it’s likely using now, does not create the same headers and make it more likely that my emails would get treated as spam seeing as how it puts the localhost IP of 127.0.0.1 into the email header instead of my email domain’s IP.

How can this be solved?

Better yet, why did the update to PHPList kill the ability to use the SMTP server? Why is it not accepting my user and pass for the SMTP connection? I’m guessing that’s why it’s not connecting.

Is there a specific reason for Error (111) “connection refused”? What exactly is Error 2?

Also, if the Debug is supposed to be more verbose, why am I not getting more information at Debug level 4?

Ok, even weirder…

I just decided to change my email list’s email password, then put the updated password into PHPList and turn SMTP function back on…

Now it’s all working again. Mind you, the password was correct before as all my devices used the same password and were able to connect without issue with that same password. I’m not sure why that was an issue, but this time in the Debug window when it sent the test email and connected, I got a rather large output of information.

Thank you for trying to help figure it out.

2 Likes

But…

Is there a way to fix the 127.0.0.1 output in the headers?!?

Hi there!

I do have the exact same issue with you, but it wasn’t the password. My mail server is a MailEnable Exterprise Plus v.10.23 (today will be upgraded into v. 10.27). I tried to change the password (even if all devices were correctly contacted the account), but that had no affect on my phpList.

Is there any possibility to help me out with this issue? Would you be so kind to provide me the settings you have at your config.php? Here are mine:

define(“PHPMAILERHOST”,‘mySMTPserver’);
$phpmailer_smtpuser = ‘myEmailAddress’;
$phpmailer_smtppassword = ‘myPassword’;
define(‘PHPMAILERPORT’,465); //(25 or 587 may also work).
define(“PHPMAILER_SECURE”,‘ssl’); //(‘ttl’ may also work)
define(‘PHPMAILER_SMTP_DEBUG’, 4);
define(‘SMTP_TIMEOUT’,30);

After making a test, I am getting the following:

Connection: opening to ssl://mySMTPserver:465, timeout=30, options=array ()
Connection: Failed to connect to server. Error number 2. "Error notice: stream_socket_client(): unable to connect to ssl://mySMTPserver:465 (Connection refused)
SMTP ERROR: Failed to connect to server: Connection refused (111)
SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

I am not providing the SMTP server’s domain and the rest sensitive data for obvious reasons.

Thanks a lot in advance for your prompt reply!

Kind regards,
Angelos Pitsos

Hello

someone found the problem? I am searching all over the forum because I have the same difficulty.